New example coming soon, work in progress via chat

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen about 6 rip cleans since the last update here in the best-of-the-best thread

A_Poythress' mixed algae challenge + Natural reef's dinos challenge are the new bob tanks to reference in my opinion, due to depth of work done

out of the recent 6, these two rinsed the best, performed reef dentistry the best and warrant inclusion here

notice the trend

we take one tanks that are the last resort for the reefer, they're fed up with normal controls

we use reef surgery and reef dentistry to simply turn them around overnite, and we predict what future gardening will look like until the tanks are substrates overtaken with either coralline, or corals, but not invaders. follow the flow in that thread to see the pattern we collect here :)

Look at AP's succession pics, we will get updates from them as well on upcoming battles: you will get to see how we handle the unknown here-the growback and prevention phase which hasn't occurred yet

beginning:
ap1.jpeg

after some test rocking, some targeted dentistry in progress

ap2.jpeg

ap3.jpeg

ap4.jpeg

ap5.jpeg

here is the sand rinse pre test below, see how clean this is (gets them in the b.o.b thread :) )

ap6.jpeg

and now for the payoff

ap8.jpeg

ap7.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
side detail

when I look at the stickies up top here, threads that don't have to actually earn anything via results they get to stay up top to promulgate 'best practices' just by first view alone, I don't see a tenth of these correction rates and pics. I see messy tradeoff invasions between hair algae, cyano and dinos, across all stickied methods

its ironic that the best outcome cure rates have to earn their upkeep via actual results, with no sticky cheats. I'm truly not sure why this isn't a sticky, it isn't based on testimony of outcomes that's for sure. I sell it too hard I bet he he

**those big sticky threads are needed: large tanks can't just rip clean, they need that type of science that works only through the water as they all do- every sticky thread is a parameter and testing only thread. The limitation being given to readers is withholding the rip clean process that tanks 40 gallons and below can be using. it's not even mentioned at all, never stickied as a best option which obviously it is, and that's an unfair limitation to the process and to nano owners

***nano owners have an opt out button they can only find via back alley channels, it should be a commonly-known process. stickying that would help ensure coverage to more readers.

there is no other thread on this board that takes near-leaving the hobby entrants and converts them this fast.

**Omit Troylee's hard work thread from my rant above. that's fifty pages he did of CLEAN peroxide dosing for his readers, its the oldest peroxide work thread on the internet indeed, from any site. legit work there, that's a classic, it should never be un-stickied. the other 4 are total messes but necessary endeavors into learning about large tank control.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a real dinos battle, a tough strain, a TOUGH strain by NaturalReef

*these dinos already punch through a big UV sterilizer ran on this nano, the very thing we use to defeat dinos and prevent them isn't working, because this strain is particularly virulent

we don't bother to ID, because ID doesn't change what we do in reef tank surgery it's all action

factors of this surgery that involve updated cycling science:

we ripped out the sandbed and didn't put it back. we don't expect these dinos to fold first pass, although if they do that's awesome lucky :)

no sandbed=no place to hide, no place to gain insulation refuge among the litter which sandbeds provide to dinos, we can now easily siphon up remassed strands off the bottom and on the rocks until they physically exhaust...we can put back in the sandbed later. we ripped out the sandbed, cleaned the rocks, and the entire system still carries the clam and coral and fish via skip cycle because reef rocks have enough bacteria for any job in a reef display, that's an ongoing pattern we use here.

*I have been wanting to get a real dinos challenge here, stand alone dinos not mixed with any other presentation, so we can compare our methods to the 2 big dinos threads up top here in stickies.

progression shots:
NR1.jpeg

LOOK at this water prep room, this is what a professional 220 gallon setup would use in terms of 0/0 ro di water, with staunch upkeep of canisters, he's got powerful UV its just not enough to scrape up the dinos from lodging in the tank so we did that surgically and will still use his UV along with our repeat physical removal

nr2.jpeg

hint of causative: look at these powerful LED's spotting above the nano, this light intensity will absolutely drive nanos with dino's issues, we're reducing the overall power of the LED -~30% and sustaining two months during the battle, slowly ramping back afterwards and checking for regrowth changes in the target if any

nr5.jpeg

nr4.jpeg

the holding buckets:

nr3.jpeg

nr7.jpeg

Look above: he cleaned out the entire tank back to bare glass, so we don't hitch in any remaining dinos on the new assembly, we're trying to cut mass bigtime here.
Communal organisms benefit from the community (feed acquisition, shelter, insulation etc)

we rob that community support here
nr8.jpeg

here's the payoff, total cleaning of rocks during surgery.
nr6.jpeg

Now THIS is clean: look how the tank literally looks empty. that's clean, now we reinstate UV after cleaning out it's housing, we lower light power, we disallow absolutely any strands of the ability to remass.

I will update here with pics in the future

when the dinos die, we put a rinsed bed back in place.

nr10.jpeg

there was no bottle bac used.
there is no recycle during the clean because rock bacteria are this tough, they're not weak and in need of reinforcement. Don't forget: in a world where everyone is trying to sell you things to add to bacteria, to 'diversify' them for benefit: we're actually removing bacteria free of charge for these wins. Naturally-selected strains will do fine if we remove unfairly-aggregated competition bacteria/dinos/cyano/etc.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who's ready to do an end of the year rip clean

someone out there got a wrecked nano you've been messing with for 9 months

let's fix it by 3 pm tomorrow/post up

what makes this a best-of-the-best thread is their attitude for ongoing control it's not just the powerful before and after pics, the 50 page thread of rinses has hundreds of shocking before and afters

but this group is uniquely willing among the collection to force compliance thereafter

and if they get lazy/edit them out :)

best of the best in rip cleaning has to mean something, there has to be a standard of measure that sets apart from run of the mill rip clean, this is the bob.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back