Coralline algae-Too much a bad thing?

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been up for about a year and a half. Currently I only have a small colony of Zoas, 2 clowns, 1 coral beauty, 1 fire fish, 1 midas blenny, 1 Azure Damselfish, 2 emerald crabs, 1 blue leg hermit, 2 red hermits, 1 cleaner shrimp, 4 Banded Trochus Snails, 4 Cerith Snails, 3 Nassarius Snails. 56 gallon tank with 50 lbs of live rock (yes it was live rock when I got it with some pests to take care of). So my tank was doing great with low nitrates around 5 ppm. I do a weekly water change of about 5 gallons. Salt water is from my LFS. Seams that when my live rock became more thickly covered with coralline algae that my nitrates went up. Is too much Coralline algae a bad thing on my live rock? If so, how do I reduce it least invasive way? I am getting ready to add some soft corals and take the next step in reefing.
Oh yeah lighting is Loop orbit using the supplied wire supports over a glass top, with 100% blue, 80% white, 25% red and green during the daytime setting. About 10 hours a day.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline algae is never really a bad thing other than another source for calcium uptake. Sure it'll be a hassle once it starts growing on the glass and equipment but depending on your tank-taste it may or may not be an issue. I love the look of coralline on my bare bottom tank and welcome it with open arms! But it is a pain to scrape off when I neglect the back part of the tank though....

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people feel coraline is a good thing. It is a good sign your tank is healthy.

Although coraline wont cause any real problems, I find it a nuisance. It covers glass and equipment and sucks up alk and cal.

Tuxedo urchins are a good way to control coralline.

Coralgod69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep... consider yourself...lucky ...Coraline is a sign of a healthy system.... usually comes with consistency in husbandry. I also love the look of Coraline covering everything. Eventually it will cover your pumps heads.. but even then, a vinegar bath helps w that.

destro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back