Coralline algae

ciscomania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not trust that LFS!! I can't believe he told you to dose fusion1&2 when you don't even have any corals in the tank yet. What a greedy ****** bag trying to make a buck on a newbie by telling you to buy something that your tank doesn't even need at all at this point.

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not trust that LFS!! I can't believe he told you to dose fusion1&2 when you don't even have any corals in the tank yet. What a greedy ****** bag trying to make a buck on a newbie by telling you to buy something that your tank doesn't even need at all at this point.
Hey lets not get aggressive bro. I agree the dude was obviously playing him for money, but all is well. now he knows

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i am still a baby to Sw reef my 65gal tank is been up for about 60 to 90 days my question is when will i began to see any purple coralline algae i have only 2 chromis in the tank with about 12 snails and some blue leg crabs. Every week i have my water tested by my local Lfs and they say everything is doing good they started me about 3wks ago putting in seachem reef fusion 1 and fusion 2. This past week I tested my water my calcium level is it 450 my ammonia level is at 0 my salt level is 1022 to 1023
Not saying these guys are doing anything wrong or guiding me wrong I just wanted to know somebody else's opinion if they think I'm going the right way I would like to know when I can start putting corals then the tank. Thanks Bamaboy
Pretty informative video:

Like everyone has said, you've got to seed your tank and set your water conditions for growth. I've never used commercial preparations but there are plenty on the market.

Good luck

Reef2zach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks about 5 months old and I'm finaly starting to get a decent amount. But yea once it starts it doesn't stop. On my last tank I had to scrape it back daily.

20170506_155326.jpg

Sharkbate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need to feed it? Do you have also snails and crabs?

Hi, I don't target feed the urchin , he just goes round thru the night on rocks and tank sides . I also have snails and hermits and an anemone crab , all get on fine and the urchin has grown considerably .Nem crab is a cool dude too!! Always just hangin out
6018c80204594837c3b5431446776241.jpg

Stolireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need details about your setup in order to suggest corals. (ie. Lights, filtration, etc.) Couple things I noticed in your post.
1. You need to buy and do your own tests. Never rely on an LFS for this other than perhaps for confirmation of your own results. You should also be logging your test results.
2. Unless you are using table salt, there is absolutely no reason at this point to be dosing anything. As a previous poster suggested, you don't have anything in your tank to take up the supplements you are adding (this is a blinding strobe light that your LFS is just trying to sell you stuff).
3. Nothing good in this hobby happens fast. It can take several months for corralline algae to develop.
4. You came to a great place to ask these questions. Keep them coming!!!

ciscomania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey lets not get aggressive bro. I agree the dude was obviously playing him for money, but all is well. now he knows
uhhh....I wasn't getting aggressive towards OP, I was explaining to him why not to trust his LFS. I was bashing on the LFS, not the OP. If it came off that way I apologize but I don't think I did.

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you manage to get the rocks and sand to stay up there!? ;Wideyed

;)

Ok sorry, I just had to. If your tank has cycled then yes, I would get started with coral. Also, nitrates aren't indicative of an unhealthy tank either. High nitrates can be bad, but a lot of people (including myself) shoot for detectable (3-5 ppm) nitrates for healthy color and growth of coral :)
:D

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back