Coralline On Candy Cane - How do I Remove?

lanceinhuntsville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
619B4E74-91D1-40D4-A3F5-23E0FC697051.jpeg

I’ve had this candy cane for about 6 months and it has not sprouted any new heads, despite being otherwise happy all the time. I can only assume that’s due to the coralline algae covering its stalk.

Is there a way to get rid of the coralline without damaging the stalk?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not actually sure but could buy a tuxedo urchin or any urchin that known to eat foraline algae and keep putting urchin on it ( or do sake if already own one)
I know a healthy coral will not let any algae grow on its flesh ( as far as i know)
Ovbiously it cant stop it growing on its skeloton i dont think.
Ive heard of people being little to rough on some lps corals and damaged skeloton then start thread saying is it ok glue back together etc so taking coral out and scrubbing coraline off i would of thought a risk to your candy cane.but be interesting to see what others say.hopefully you get some great advice on how to remove ir reasons why it isnt a problem whichever is best option ^_^

OP
OP
lanceinhuntsville

lanceinhuntsville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not actually sure but could buy a tuxedo urchin or any urchin that known to eat foraline algae and keep putting urchin on it ( or do sake if already own one)
I know a healthy coral will not let any algae grow on its flesh ( as far as i know)
Ive heard of people being little to rough on some lps corals and damaged skeloton then start thread saying is it ok glue back together etc so taking coral out and scrubbing coraline off i would of thought a risk to your candy cane.but be interesting to see what others say.hopefully you get some great advice on how to remove ir reasons why it isnt a problem whichever is best option ^_^
Yeah I scraped on it just a bit but the coralline didn’t budge. I’m not really interested in taking a scrubber or knife to it unless it’s my only option :/

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on adding an urchin

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about getting one when I finish setting up the new tank anyways so I might do that. I was hoping a manual way would work more quickly though
It's going to be the best way to remove it without damaging the coral. I'd get two urchins and place them directly on that coral's base. With the amount of coralline you've got, it would be a shame for them to go bulldoze elsewhere first. Haha

OP
OP
lanceinhuntsville

lanceinhuntsville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to be the best way to remove it without damaging the coral. I'd get two urchins and place them directly on that coral's base. With the amount of coralline you've got, it would be a shame for them to go bulldoze elsewhere first. Haha
It’s like that all over, just kind of exploded the past few months. I’ll try that, though. Thanks

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had some luck taking a coral out and using a paintbrush and hydrogen peroxide. It’s not perfect since it’s not a dip but it can kill algae. If it’s easy to remove. I’ve don’t it on new corals who get overrun on the frag plug. I don’t brush the coral. Just the stem even though some can handle it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I doubt the coralline is causing any issue. If its happy, I'd leave it be.
Agreeibg with Cell, coraline is a sign of healthy calcium content and if anything, assure your calcium level is Not elevated.
Target - CA @ 440

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slower than normal growth I'd look at nutrient levels and lighting.

OP
OP
lanceinhuntsville

lanceinhuntsville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slower than normal growth I'd look at nutrient levels and lighting.
That’s kind of what made me think it might be the coralline. Nutrients seem to be fine throughout the tank, but light may be too low where it is. The one head seems perfectly happy though, so I’m not sure.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my candy cane didnt grow for a full year. Finally, it seemed to like the third spot I put it in, and one of the three original heads finally split, and another head is now splitting. It likes direct feeding. It seems to be the most finicky of my corals and the slowest grower, which is contrary to what I read, so who knows? I find it hard to blame the coralline though.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
619B4E74-91D1-40D4-A3F5-23E0FC697051.jpeg

I’ve had this candy cane for about 6 months and it has not sprouted any new heads, despite being otherwise happy all the time. I can only assume that’s due to the coralline algae covering its stalk.

Is there a way to get rid of the coralline without damaging the stalk?
Coralline isn’t bothering the candy cane. They sometimes just take a minute to grow new heads. I have two colonies. My colony the same color as yours has grown two new heads in a year. My orange/cream colored ones are basically the same age and have grown 30+ heads. Both of mine are covered in coralline up to the tissue and are fine. It’s just up to the individual corals.

OP
OP
lanceinhuntsville

lanceinhuntsville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline isn’t bothering the candy cane. They sometimes just take a minute to grow new heads. I have two colonies. My colony the same color as yours has grown two new heads in a year. My orange/cream colored ones are basically the same age and have grown 30+ heads. Both of mine are covered in coralline up to the tissue and are fine. It’s just up to the individual corals.
I’m okay with that. The less I bother them, the better

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back