Coralline or Cyano?

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I wanted to ask if anyone knows if this is coralline, cyano, or some kind of different algae. It does not come off when blasted with a turkey blaster or when trying to scrap it off. I have coralline growing in my other tank however it appears to be the traditional purple color and coming in in small patches. This one appears to be a red color and seems to have covered most of my rocks. If anyone can help that would be great.

IMG_2996.jpg IMG_2995.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I wanted to ask if anyone knows if this is coralline, cyano, or some kind of different algae. It does not come off when blasted with a turkey blaster or when trying to scrap it off. I have coralline growing in my other tank however it appears to be the traditional purple color and coming in in small patches. This one appears to be a red color and seems to have covered most of my rocks. If anyone can help that would be great.

IMG_2996.jpg IMG_2995.jpg
Look closely at this red growth. It seems fuzzy not encrusting. Cyanobacteria appears to be slimy and comes away from a surface very easily.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look like coraline. Looks like some type of red algae. How old is your tank? Typically coraline appears on plastic parts like powerheads long before it starts on the rocks.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does this mean? Coralline or something else?
If the growth is fuzzy, not coralline. If it comes off the rock easily, cyanobacteria, otherwise red algae.

Adrian Danger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have exactly the same, red, slightly fluffy algae growth. It is very hard to get off the rocks even with a tooth brush. At first I thought cyano, so i did a treatment which did nothing.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at it with a pair of those orange filter shades we use to look at coals. Does it look like it’s glowing red or orange?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back