CoralReefer's 680 Reef Savvy Build

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this post doubles up on my introducing myself to the R2R community and to Tampa Bay as well. I have recently (10 months now) moved to Tampa and decided to make it count. I had the same 225 for about 15 years but figured it was time for the upgrade. I began this process last October and have spent the last year documenting the progress. I will only put the portion relating to the build of my new system but someday may post the storybook around moving a 12 year old established SPS system across the country in 3 stages culminating with a 4 month run in my garage in Florida.

But for now, on with the build! If any of you are like me, no one wants to see a build thread end in some partial stage of completion so while I apologize for the length of the thread, it will go from inception to completion (well, completion is a loose word. Are any of us ever really "done"?)

Thanks for looking and I absolutely welcome comments. Just be nice, I never claimed to be a pro.....

Cheers,
Andy

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's the nuts and bolts:
- ReefSavvy tank 120x30x32 eurobraced
double bottom, PVC liner, armored seams, ghost overflows
- MRC Custom I-sump 72x24x24
- Tradewinds IL-75s 3/4hp chiller
- BubbleKing Deluxe 300
- (4) Ecotech MP-60's
- (6) Ecotech XR30 G4Pro
- Ecotech Reeflink
- Dolphin return
- (2) Panworld 50PXX ATO and Mix Station pumps
- Apex control
- (2) Apex EB832
- Apex WXM
- Apex ATK
- Custom Cabinetry and Installation by Chris Benner, Sticks N Stones

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Stand on way to shop .JPG
2. Tank on its way .JPG

So here is the stand being sent off to be powder coated and the tank as it was about to embark upon its journey from Miami to Tampa. This of course was possibly my favorite set of pics not because they are overly special but they took about 9 months to go from 'nothing' to 'this'. It became very real once I could see and touch it.

And to proactively address the obvious. This thing was heavy as - insert choice language here. But more on the riggers later.

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3. Sumps here .jpg

This was the sump arriving. We opted to have it depot shipped to save on costs. That part was a good idea. The bad idea was realizing that it was going to weigh over 600lbs and once the forklift put it in my truck bed I was going to have to deal with it myself on the other end.
Like I said in my intro, no one ever accused me of being a great planner. Fortunately what I lack in operations and planning expertise I make up in beer confidence so it all comes out in the end.

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4. Moving day .jpg
5. Beer Fridge .jpg

Moving day including the essentials needed for a long 4 days. I had the great fortune to have Chris Benner from Sticks N Stones leading this project. He and the riggers showed up for the long weekend and we set to work. My poort dog had no idea what was in store...

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8. Rigging it in.JPG
8. Rigging it in.JPG

This was the point at which your heart was in your throat. I am pretty sure Chris didn't breathe for about 6 mins until this thing was flush and safely mounted on the stand. By now I think my neighbors had fully given up trying to figure out what was going on and why small crane equipment was sitting on my porch.
Sadly this won't be the oddest thing they would see over the next several weeks....lol

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20. Plumbing 7 .jpg
21. Plumbing 1 .jpg
22. Plumbing 6 .jpg
24. Plumbing 2 .jpg
25. Plumbing 3 .jpg
23. Plumbing 8.jpg

Let me be perfectly, unequivocally, and 100% clear. I had NOTHING to do with planning this much plumbing. All credit to Sticks N Stones. My head nearly exploded when I laid all of this out. Having nearly 700 feet of schedule 80 in the back of my truck confused every plumber in the city. I think we caused a shortage in the area...

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
27.. I sump 1 .jpg
28.  sump 2 .jpg
29.I sump 3 .jpg
30. I sump 4 .jpg

This thing is awesome. Adjustable walls, custom baffles, ports for all probes and dosing lines. Even custom made acrylic lids to reduce surface exposure and mitigate evaporation. The guys and gals at MRC got this right for sure. Job well done over there....

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
31. Inside of tank .JPG

These things are always deceiving by dimension alone. However, getting to literally crawl around inside it makes you realize real quick how big this thing is. And the ghosts are the real thing. So sleek and allow for so much more space than traditional box overflows. I really wanted to make sure I had a ton of swim room and ultimately the chance to do an island scape and have corals growing on front and back so you can see straight through. This tank made it possible!

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
32. Garage during build .jpg

And so it begins. If any of my neighbors happen to read this, I am so sorry to have had that dang saw going for almost 72 straight hours. However, you will see shortly how many cuts needed made and how much plumbing was constructed.
Again, shout out to the crew who worked night and day to make this happen. Kurt, if you're out there, I hope you got some rest!!!!

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
49. Filling tank 1 .jpg

I was tempted to post this pic and see how many people lit me up over using a hose. Then I realized that all of my history is on another site and no one here knows me and that I would never do anything like that so I decided against it. Here we are filling it up to pressure test it.
I didn't include a pic but it was quite hilarious then to build a PVC outflow line to run this water into my koi pond which benefited from a 500g water change.....I'm sure there's a forum out there somewhere to sh

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50. Filling tank 3 .jpg

Temporary lighting rig getting set up while we await the creation of the cabinetry (an estimated October delivery).
And filling with RODI is the answer. What is not the answer though is having to have your poor RO machine have to push water from the garage, through the front yard, up a staircase, and then up nearly 8 vertical feet. It's hard to believe there wasn't much head pressure....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back