corals are melting??

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get rid of the ammonia quickly, and the remaining corals seem OK I would just hold onto them and observe. I'm not sure if a back and forth to the LFS will be helpful or further stress them.

Hopefully someone else can chime in about the plumbing. I have never had that situation. I have upgraded to larger tanks, and always fully cycle both before moving livestock. If you have the room, that would be my recommendation. Get both tanks up, running and with matching stable parameters before connecting them...

Last edited:

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope it goes well for you. Following bc my tank is same age and sounds like similar set up.
FWIW, my hammers and zoas react like you're describing when I bottom out on phosphate.

So many possible variables with a young tank and the addition of new corals... chemistry, disease, lighting, placement

Your calcium is pretty high. I don't think that's dangerous in and of itself, but it means there's a good chance your alkalinity is up there as well and that can cause problems.

Yeah, I just re-read the thread carefully. Doesn't look like you're testing for alkalinity. U got to. That's the one test you do multiple times a week.

fishhead1973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys I got my 24 gal jbj nano cube and im having trouble with it. My SPS corals have been melting from the bottom up until they are fully dead so i tested my levels and have done 2 waterchanges today already. My hammers are all receeded and not opening but my zoes and acan look alright. I tested levcels and Im getting .25-.5 ammonia NI 0 NA 0 Cal 500 and ph 8.4 idk what to do everywhere is closed now so all i can do is another water change but I just did one two hours ago any ideas??

fishhead1973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys I got my 24 gal jbj nano cube and im having trouble with it. My SPS corals have been melting from the bottom up until they are fully dead so i tested my levels and have done 2 waterchanges today already. My hammers are all receeded and not opening but my zoes and acan look alright. I tested levcels and Im getting .25-.5 ammonia NI 0 NA 0 Cal 500 and ph 8.4 idk what to do everywhere is closed now so all i can do is another water change but I just did one two hours ago any ideas??

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For lighting I have a 165 W light with blues at 60 percent and whites at 10 percent
Would this 165 W light happen to be a black box? Also this just happened to me not more than 2 months ago, my tank had a ammonia spike like yours and I had a massive amount of corals melt, I did water change every day and dosed seachem AMGAURD to protect fish and corals from toxic ammonia, I did this until the cycle was over and there was undetectable levels of ammonia

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Would this 165 W light happen to be a black box? Also this just happened to me not more than 2 months ago, my tank had a ammonia spike like yours and I had a massive amount of corals melt, I did water change every day and dosed seachem AMGAURD to protect fish and corals from toxic ammonia, I did this until the cycle was over and there was undetectable levels of ammonia
That would be a black box and with ammonia spike, there is a chance nitrate also did the same and would impact the coral.
If PH changed, then alk would have also and many reasons for melting in this case.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.5%
Back