Corals as only nutrient export

  • Thread starter Thread starter crav
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

crav

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 18, 2018
Messages
23
Reaction score
1
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have a refugium with chaeto and an ats as nutrient export for my tank. I've seen tanks from people (Jake Adams from reef builders, for example) that don't really have any export apart from corals and live rock. No water changes, skimmer, chaeto, etc.

I'm debating just buying a lot of frags and filling the sump with them, and balancing feeding, with the goal to grow corals and get to a simpler tank in general. Dosing kalk and magnesium as needed.
Any of you have tried this? How to go about it?
 
Right now I have a refugium with chaeto and an ats as nutrient export for my tank. I've seen tanks from people (Jake Adams from reef builders, for example) that don't really have any export apart from corals and live rock. No water changes, skimmer, chaeto, etc.

I'm debating just buying a lot of frags and filling the sump with them, and balancing feeding, with the goal to grow corals and get to a simpler tank in general. Dosing kalk and magnesium as needed.
Any of you have tried this? How to go about it?
Right now I have a refugium with chaeto and an ats as nutrient export for my tank. I've seen tanks from people (Jake Adams from reef builders, for example) that don't really have any export apart from corals and live rock. No water changes, skimmer, chaeto, etc.

I'm debating just buying a lot of frags and filling the sump with them, and balancing feeding, with the goal to grow corals and get to a simpler tank in general. Dosing kalk and magnesium as needed.
Any of you have tried this? How to go about it?
RIP Jake Adams
 
I don't think you even need a sump or filtration at all. Growing stuff will consume a lot of nutrients. If you feed smartly and don't overstock with fish this is not really difficult.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new