Corals closing after feeding and staying closed

Cab01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I experienced this before withe my zoo's and a green star. When I first started feeding (using beneReef) and spot fed those corals they would close for 3 or 4 days before they opened again. After that I left those out off the feed list. Broadcast feeding affected them a little but nor much. The last 2 months or so my corals have been a bit droopy and not growing. My LFS recommended feeding some aminos. That worked great, within 48 hours after the first feeding, everything started looking better. I used "fuel" by aquavitro. My only exception was my sun coral. It has been doing great, growing best of any of my corals and was getting fed nightly. It would open about 30 minutes to an hour after the nightly fish feeding. I've been feeding it LPS food the same as i do the other LPSs. I dosed the aminos for the first time 8 days ago. Since then the sun has been closed up tighter than a drum (same as my zoas back when I spot fed them once). Has anybody else run into this? Starting to get worried about the guy. He's one of my favorites. All my numbers are good and haven't changed anything outside of dosing the aminos.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your actual parameters and lighting being used/settings?

OP
OP
C

Cab01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a water change yesterday so everything is slightly higher than I normally run with the exception of PO4. I knew somebody would ask so I just ran these this morning. I usually test 2x a week so i was due anyway. I'm using the red reef test kits.
NO3: 6.0
PO4: .01
Calcium: 450
Alk: 9.0
Mag: 1600 - working on getting that back down.
Salinity: 1.026

OP
OP
C

Cab01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, forgot lighting. My sun coral is in a shady spot in the back corner. Also got my hands on a par meter this week so I'm trying to do some tuning. Using LEDs on for 12 hrs a day. Sand level runs around 60 to 90 par. It's less than 60 where the sun coral is. Zoas are are about 90. Mushrooms at about 100. Monti's at about 180, 200. Blassto and hammer are at about 100 right now. Running 100 % blue with about 30% white. Red and green less than 20%

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Numbers seem ok. How old is the tank? Dosing mag to get it to that level? Have calibration fluid for your refractometer? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to narrow things down.

OP
OP
C

Cab01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. Tank is 4 months old. I know, still a baby but seems to be settling out well. Still have a little dyno problem but that's getting better. I think I accidentally grabbed my mag jug instead of my Calc jug about 6-8 weeks ago when I was adding a little Calc. Mag had been running about 1450 and then a couple weeks later I had 1600. I don't test mag every week. Figured it was just a bad test and ignored it. Then the next week it was still there. Then I went to add a little Calc again and my mag jug was where my Calc jug should have been. Now I have my jugs labeled in big letters. LFS has no ideas on why my sun coral closed up so I thought I'd ask here. Everything else is going OK to getting better.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. Tank is 4 months old. I know, still a baby but seems to be settling out well. Still have a little dyno problem but that's getting better. I think I accidentally grabbed my mag jug instead of my Calc jug about 6-8 weeks ago when I was adding a little Calc. Mag had been running about 1450 and then a couple weeks later I had 1600. I don't test mag every week. Figured it was just a bad test and ignored it. Then the next week it was still there. Then I went to add a little Calc again and my mag jug was where my Calc jug should have been. Now I have my jugs labeled in big letters. LFS has no ideas on why my sun coral closed up so I thought I'd ask here. Everything else is going OK to getting better.
Seems like you're doing everything needed already. The swing from mag could be showing up a little and dinos will irritate things. If it were me I'd finish up getting rid of the dinos and not change anything. Tank is still young with uglies right around the corner. Instead of focusing on what to change, instead just focus on correct and stable. Coral in my tank just kind of survived until the uglies were over and the tank matured a little.

sdreefer619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF IT WERE ME ID DO SMALL WATER CHANGES EVERY OTHER DAY AND JUST WAIT IT OUT ON THE DYNO PROBLEM. I HAD DYNO AND CYANO FOR A COUPLE MONTHS AND THEN IT JUST WENT AWAY.

OP
OP
C

Cab01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to finish this off. The sun coral finally opened up (barely but enough to feed) night before last. That was after 10 days. It opened a little more last night. All is right with the world again :) I have no idea what bothered it but thanks to everyone for their input.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back