OP
D

DougiesREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a day 2 update. I did another water change yesterday and ordered the carbon and test kits. Have not changed flow or lights at all. Should I dip the coral incase it is a pest or would that cause too much stress?

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't look worse, but not any better either...
Given that it's more than one coral, the odds of it being a critter are much less. Not saying it isn't possible, but if you dipped before you put into your tank, then I'd be less inclined to do so again.
IME, dipping, although beneficial, will cause stress; and if you don't know what your dipping for, then why put them through it.
I don't see signs of infection or other tissue damage, so dipping in iodine wouldn't add any benefit.
If you suspect a critter (and even better seen them on the coral), then yes, dipping in CoralRx or similar will help.
I agree with @HD_Reefer. Your tank is still very young and the parameters are still stabilizing. The corals you added are tougher to keep, and adding them in a young tank is challenging at best. Euphyllia really need stable parameters and an established ecosystem to do well. Any changes, sometimes even slight changes, can aggravate them.
Don't let this discourage you! It's part of the hobby and learning comes in many ways... unfortunately, some more costly than others.
If it were me, I'd stay the course and let things ride for a bit.

OP
OP
D

DougiesREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jassermd thanks man for all your help I don't see any signs of critters I dipped in coral Rx when I first purchased them. Will run it out and hopefully they recover. I will keep posting updates for anyone interested.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much intensity, yes. Most likely will bleach or fully retract.
with euphyllia, they prefer lower level lighting, 75-150 par is what most will shoot for.
Did you increase the intensity of your lights since you put the coral in?
Light and flow are the 2 most common issues that folks run into that isn’t water quality related.

OP
OP
D

DougiesREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't per say "change it" but when I added the torch I used the acclimate function on the AI prime for 30 days

OP
OP
D

DougiesREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could this also have something to do with it. I believe this brown is diatoms but I also have a weird brown stringy algae like substance that sticks to the rocks. I tried to get a picture any ideas? Sorry the picture quality.
image3.jpeg
IMG_5133.jpg

OP
OP
D

DougiesREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. Day 3 update. Its looking better for the hammer, but I think the Torch is shot. Here are pics im doing another 50% water change today.
IMG_5140.jpg
IMG_5138.jpg
IMG_5139.jpg

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're getting into the ugly phase, it's part of the process. What's your cleanup crew situation?

What % did you start the acclimation at and how many days did you run it? Did you notice the coral issues after or towards the end of acclimation? If so...that could be the smoking gun.

OP
OP
D

DougiesREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're getting into the ugly phase, it's part of the process. What's your cleanup crew situation?

What % did you start the acclimation at and how many days did you run it? Did you notice the coral issues after or towards the end of acclimation? If so...that could be the smoking gun.
I have 5 snails and a conch for clean up crew. I did a 20 day acclimation starting at 50% and the issue came about at the end of the acclimation. I just reduced the lights by 30% to see if that helps. If you look at my other post however I think it is dying

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you doing daily water changes? Coral hate instability and you are changing your water parameters every day. Why not let things settle for 2 weeks and see what happens. I only perform 3 or 4 water changes per year.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back