Corals dying in 6 mo tank

Rmorrison23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confused as to why I am losing corals gradually. All parameters seem to be within acceptable ranges, no3 and po4 pretty low though. Have about 15 fish, radio xr30 Gen 5's, 2 mp40's. Even rented a par meter and mapped out the tank so I could be somewhat confident in where I placed the corals. They do fine for awhile then slowly lose polyps and flesh and basically just waste away. Getting frustrated when I seenpeople put corals in their tanks with lower end equipment and sooner than I did. The one caviat is that my 2 zoa frags and 1 torch frag with 2 heads seem to be doing fine to this day.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the parameters arent fluctuating much, yours all look fine as is. Stability is definitely key. If you arent having alkalinity swings an icp test would be my next move.

Also have you been watching closely for pests or anything that might be eating corals? What specifically have you been losing?

OP
OP
Rmorrison23

Rmorrison23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't seen any pests, worried crabs may have gone rogue, although there is only a handful in a 6 foot tank.
Aussie lords shrinking and skeleton seems to be deteriorating, Monti caps fading in color, cyphastrea losing flesh, hammer won't extend its tentacles, Duncan with about 5 heads won't fully extend anymore, favias wasting away and turning brown.
I'm at a loss

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you water is good and you measured your PAR that leaves your flow. How are you running the MP40s?

OP
OP
Rmorrison23

Rmorrison23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP is in order and bacteria is vastly more important than anyone credits.
I did start with dry rock and dry sand and the cycle was long and difficult. I was dealing with a weird brown hairy type algae but that seems to be gone now

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did start with dry rock and dry sand and the cycle was long and difficult. I was dealing with a weird brown hairy type algae but that seems to be gone now
Buy a bottle of zeobak and microbacter7, check out my tank if you want to see a SPS tank that I added acros into on day 30.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's slightly more flow than I have in my 75 gallon predator tank with only softies in it. Too little flow produces exactly the prolonged decline you are talking about.
@WVNed and @Rmorrison23 i have a 120G with two MP40s and I’m running 60% on the master and 35% on the slave. But my positioning is sidewall and back wall

@Rmorrison23 what is your PAR reading at the sand bed and then at top of your rocks?

OP
OP
Rmorrison23

Rmorrison23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WVNed and @Rmorrison23 i have a 120G with two MP40s and I’m running 60% on the master and 35% on the slave. But my positioning is sidewall and back wall

@Rmorrison23 what is your PAR reading at the sand bed and then at top of your rocks?
Right now the par is about 80 on the bottom and around 210 max on the very tallest rock peak

FishGeist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What is your water change schedule
2. Do you vac the gravel.
3. What kind of RO/DI system are you using.
4. Do you have coraline growth?

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's slightly more flow than I have in my 75 gallon predator tank with only softies in it. Too little flow produces exactly the prolonged decline you are talking about.
I have 2 MP40s and a Varios4 on my 3ft 55g. I run my MP40s at 60% and my varios4 on the lowest setting, I’m most acropora. I have yet to do a water change however I do ICP test and adjust based on the result.

OP
OP
Rmorrison23

Rmorrison23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What is your water change schedule
2. Do you vac the gravel.
3. What kind of RO/DI system are you using.
4. Do you have coraline growth?
1. 2 gal per day auto water change
2. Have vacuumed gravel yes
3. BRS 7 stage pro plus rodi
4. Seeded tankbwith corraline from lfs but not really seeing any growth. Seeded about 6 weeks ago or maybe more, can't quite recall exactly how long ago.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 109 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back