corals dying, need help

Orraclekiller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just from my own personal experience e a few months ago, had a similar issue. Sent off an icp test and had aluminum at high levels. Checked all of my equipment and even went as far replacing some of it as well. Turns out it was the marine pure spheres I had in my system. After numerous water changes and icp test about every 2 weeks finally got it out.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you, i have taken all reactors off line yesterday for cleaning. should i keep the biopellet and ROWA reactors off and continue using the carbon reactor?
That would be my general, DIRECTIONAL advice. If you have a controller (or smart outlets) maybe you could shorten their run cycles. So that the changes are not too dramatic & quick. Know what I am saying?

OP
OP
L

Ludak11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys his snails are dying. He’s got an RODI water issue or heavy metal problems. Needs to take his equipment apart and look for corrosion and get a chlorine test strip for his RODI water.
how would i test for metals? what will the chlorine test strips show? im showing 0 TDS from my RODI. also it is not all Zoas and snails that are dying. im losing most of my zoas except the green ones. 2 emrold crabs died, snails i lost 2 large turbo and 1 large trochus, i still have about 3 large turbo and 5 XL trochus, 6 small trochus. tiny crabs

OP
OP
L

Ludak11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be my general, DIRECTIONAL advice. If you have a controller (or smart outlets) maybe you could shorten their run cycles. So that the changes are not too dramatic & quick. Know what I am saying?
thank you and yes i get what ur saying, unfortunately my reactors run off a manifold from the main pump.

OP
OP
L

Ludak11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just from my own personal experience e a few months ago, had a similar issue. Sent off an icp test and had aluminum at high levels. Checked all of my equipment and even went as far replacing some of it as well. Turns out it was the marine pure spheres I had in my system. After numerous water changes and icp test about every 2 weeks finally got it out.
i did add marine pure spheres about a month ago, i would say very close tot the same time but not positive which was first. issues or marine pure. you think its a good idea to remove them? if so should i just let them dry out in case they are not the issue?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know what are your pH and Alkalinity readings?

Orraclekiller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did add marine pure spheres about a month ago, i would say very close tot the same time but not positive which was first. issues or marine pure. you think its a good idea to remove them? if so should i just let them dry out in case they are not the issue?
Maybe take them out and keep them in a bucket of tabk water with a heater.

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timing wise I would probably remove those spheres. It may just be a red herring, but nitrates aren't that high and you can reduce phos with gfo so probably not a big deal to remove them.

Have your nitrates been zero when the tank was thriving?

ICP test for metals or other explanations would be good too, as was said above

Mag is high and does eventually become toxic at some point. Maybe someone else would have better insight into that. Another reason to confirm this with ICP

OP
OP
L

Ludak11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timing wise I would probably remove those spheres. It may just be a red herring, but nitrates aren't that high and you can reduce phos with gfo so probably not a big deal to remove them.

Have your nitrates been zero when the tank was thriving?

ICP test for metals or other explanations would be good too, as was said above

Mag is high and does eventually become toxic at some point. Maybe someone else would have better insight into that. Another reason to confirm this with ICP
no i dont believe my nitrates were 0 when the tank was doing really good. although i didnt really test for nitrates, when i did it would be maybe once every 6 weeks. i just got a new nitrate test kit. i know that about 6 months to a year ago i had nitrates relatively high. in February they were 0.25

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH is 8.2, Alk 8.5
P04 - 0.09
N03 - 0.00

Yes... you did list you ALK in you OP. I just missed it... sorry...

I am sorry to read that you are having these difficulties. You have some knowledgable people involved in the thread, and I am certain the advice you are getting is correct. I wish I had something else to add, but any ideas I have are already posted.

Right now, you are in a trouble-shooting mode where your tank is concerned. And I understand the feelings of urgency you may be experiencing. But it is important to go slow, as quick and drastic changes will probably compound your problem.

In my view, you have been presented with viable courses of action within the thread. To isolate the cause of the problem, you can't make the recommended changes all at the same time. Make ONE change and observe for 5-7 days. Then make another change and again, observe for 5-7 days.

Take notes.

If you notice a change, you may want to extend the observation beyond.

I think it is about isolating the problem. And when you make multiple changes at the same time, even if successful, you won't know which of those changes are your solution.

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes... you did list you ALK in you OP. I just missed it... sorry...

I am sorry to read that you are having these difficulties. You have some knowledgable people involved in the thread, and I am certain the advice you are getting is correct. I wish I had something else to add, but any ideas I have are already posted.

Right now, you are in a trouble-shooting mode where your tank is concerned. And I understand the feelings of urgency you may be feeling. But it is important to go slow, as quick and drastic changes will probably compound your problem.

In my view, you have been presented with viable courses of action within the thread. To isolate the cause of the problem, you can't make the recommended changes all at the same time. Make ONE change and observe for 5-7 days. Then make another change and again, observe for 5-7 days.

Take notes.

If you notice a change, you may want to extend the observation beyond.

I think it is about isolating the problem. And when you make multiple changes at the same time, even if successful, you won't know which of those changes are your solution.
+1 to going slow and keeping notes. There is often a considerable lag between a change and coral response. Can be weeks and makes it hard to decipher which changes were "good" or "bad".

OP
OP
L

Ludak11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all, i have one consern about a fish that may be causing some of this. i have a newer large gold head goby, the fish will gulp sand and swim in the water column sprinkling sand over the Zoas, i know they dont like this but could this cause them to die?

Back