Corals dying not sure why?

EL6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this might be long but I need some input. I have a RS E260 AIO tank that has been up and running for 8 months. I have recently (last 3 months started adding coral. Some look good but not growing, and some just flat out dying. List of coral:
Duncan's not opening fully.
Frogspawn melting away.
Hammer not opening fully.
Several montis losing color and flesh.
Weeping willow not extending.
GSP good extension but no growth
Toad stool good extension but no growth
Bubble tip anemone looks great with noticeable growth.

I have 2 RS reef led 90's on a 15k schedule (preset from reef beat app).
I test regularly and do weekly 10 gallon water changes. I have an rodi system that shows 0tds coming out.recently changed all filters.
Parameters
Temp 78.6
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Phosphate .12
Alk 8.5
Calcium 440
Mag 1400
I also just sent off a triton ICP test but have not received results yet. Any suggestions? I'm I missing something?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LIGHTING:
What are your lights?
Your lighting schedule?
How much PAR?
Basic blue and white settings?

FLOW:
What way are you making flow?
Is your flow low, medium, or fast?

Nanoreefboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nutrients look pretty high, especially phosphates. I’d get those down, but you have mostly soft/LPS corals, and those can thrive in those conditions.

For me, dosing amino acids completely reversed the decline in coral health. My montipora cap was losing color. Within a week or two of dosing aminos, it was fluorescent red and growing like crazy. However these can increase nitrates.

This was just my two cents. Not sure if this will work for your tank, but it is something to consider.

P.S. high phosphate can inhibit calcification, especially in SPS corals.

OP
OP
E

EL6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LIGHTING:
What are your lights?
Your lighting schedule?
How much PAR?

FLOW:

2 reef led 90's
Blues at 100%
Whites at 10%
Par I don't know but have most of the corals in question on frag racks to acclimate to lights
2 Nero 3's for flow. I would say the dlow is medium to high in most areas of the tank.

OP
OP
E

EL6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LIGHTING:
What are your lights?
Your lighting schedule?
How much PAR?

FLOW:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210618-064554_ReefBeat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210618-064554_ReefBeat.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
E

EL6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nutrients look pretty high, especially phosphates. I’d get those down, but you have mostly soft/LPS corals, and those can thrive in those conditions.

For me, dosing amino acids completely reversed the decline in coral health. My montipora cap was losing color. Within a week or two of dosing aminos, it was fluorescent red and growing like crazy. However these can increase nitrates.

This was just my two cents. Not sure if this will work for your tank, but it is something to consider.

P.S. high phosphate can inhibit calcification, especially in SPS corals.
What amino acids did you use? I know my nutrients are high but haven't had much luck getting them down. Haven't tried any chemicals, but I do water changes regularly and have even done some large one and numbers just jump right back up. With an AIO it's hard to figure out how to use the limited space the most efficiently.

OP
OP
E

EL6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the last variable you added or changed to your system?
So the corals in question have never looked good. Within days of going into my system they began to decline. The hammer has been in for about 3 months and the montipora are quite new only about 2 weeks. No fish have been added since before coral was started. Haven't changed anything since starting up the tank 8 months ago. I don't dose anything. I change the filter floss every couple of days. I did start adding oceanmagik from algae barn about 1 month ago.

OP
OP
E

EL6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the corals in question have never looked good. Within days of going into my system they began to decline. The hammer has been in for about 3 months and the montipora are quite new only about 2 weeks. No fish have been added since before coral was started. Haven't changed anything since starting up the tank 8 months ago. I don't dose anything. I change the filter floss every couple of days. I did start adding oceanmagik from algae barn about

What was the last variable you added or changed to your system?
I have lots of coraline that started to pop up about 2 months ago. I did start with dry rock and dry sand. I also made a huge mistake when setting up the system. I completely missed the step of rinsing the sand before adding it. All previous tanks I used live sand and live rock but wanted to try something different. All fish are fat and healthy. Coral is a different story.

Nanoreefboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What amino acids did you use? I know my nutrients are high but haven't had much luck getting them down. Haven't tried any chemicals, but I do water changes regularly and have even done some large one and numbers just jump right back up. With an AIO it's hard to figure out how to use the limited space the most efficiently.
I used Acropower by Two Little Fishies. Worked wonders with my tank, but I’m not 100% sure this will work for your tank. You mentioned your montipora losing color, and this stuff drastically improved it’s health. Here’s a pic from a few months ago:
EF262067-D382-4CD2-AFCA-7511EE6684C8.jpeg

As for your phosphates, try feeding less dry food like pellets/flake. Frozen foods contain much less phosphates.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

EL6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Acropower by Two Little Fishies. Worked wonders with my tank, but I’m not 100% sure this will work for your tank. You mentioned your montipora losing color, and this stuff drastically improved it’s health. Here’s a pic from a few months ago:
At this point I am willing to try anything. Thank you for your input.

OP
OP
E

EL6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As for your phosphates, try feeding less dry food like pellets/flake. Frozen foods contain much less phosphates.
I dont feed any dry except for seaweed for my tang. I hang it on a clip. I only feed frozen, no pellets.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you suggest for my light schedule? I'm up to suggestions. First time with led's and I'm not sure on what is good or bad. So many mixed reviews.
Honestly I’m the last guy to help you with that. The only reason I suggest it is because I’ve gone through similar situations while figuring out lighting and I’m still learning. And running 100% with leds is very rare it seems.

OP
OP
E

EL6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I’m the last guy to help you with that. The only reason I suggest it is because I’ve gone through similar situations while figuring out lighting and I’m still learning. And running 100% with leds is very rare it seems.
With the reef led app its one of the preset options and thats why I picked it. I figured they know way more than me about the light. It is 100% blues but only 10% whites. I figured less white equals less algae.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna say flow might be your biggest issue. My frogspawn hates much flow at all. And you’ve got lots of softies that won’t open. I’d try to turn down flow a ton and see what happens. I can’t see anything else that would cause this. Your parameters are fine. No matter what you post parameters to be somebody will think of a way it could negatively affect corals. No way to know. People have different experiences with the same parameters. It’s hard to get right. But I really think your corals are more sensitive to flow than others might be. I’ve gotten odd downdrafts on a frag rack on a wall before some corals hated as well. Good luck tho. I know you’ll figure it out. You’re doing fine so far. It’s a hard hobby.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say killing them with too much light. Good luck.

This is my thought also. You can kill corals with too much blue light. I'd try to find someone with the same fixtures and same corals at the same PAR (or distance if a PAR meter isn't available) and duplicate the settings. I would also get some live rock and add that, uit provides cryptic sponges and microbes essential for a healthy reef ecosystem you can't get in a bottle or rock with just some bacteria added (see here). I wouldn't worry about phosphates (see here). Adding amino acids may help as corals much prefer the organic nitrogen amino acids provide over the inorganic form nitrate.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back