Corals dying :(

LEastham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone, thanks for clicking on my thread!
i hope i can describe my situation well enough.

Starting off, i have a 75 gallon Tank with a 100 gallon Rubbermaid reservoir.

In the reservoir there is a pump supplying a jet system to keep water movement around the submerged 5 gallons of Marinepure Ceramic Bio Balls that are in 5-6 pond baskets, Heater,

In the tank there is about 80 lbs of rock, plenty of water movement, NO SAND, 2 Kessil A360WE LED Lights (turned to half power) on a 12pm - 12am timer(one on 30mins before the other)

.:Tank life details:.
mid to late 2017 i had moved from a 55 Gal to a 75 Gal with 5 ceramic bioballs in the sump, then a few months later in 2018 added the 100 Gal reservoir and put the balls into the reservoir in pond baskets & added a filter sock. the outcome was beautiful the corals had started growing rapidly.

now a bit about why this post is posted here, recently last month (February) i noticed that the soft corals like frogspawn are dying off. we usually grade the aquarium on the way it looks usually it gets a A+ and the fleshy soft looking corals are usually big and beautiful. obviousy this wasnt normal so i checked the dates water had been added and to to my surprise it had been a full 6 days. after asking why person in charge of checking up on the tank(adding top off water daily), had not added fresh water in 6 days, they responded with the salinity meter said it was in range and told me to order more filter socks because the last one broke over a month ago.

After adding half a bucket of fresh water to the reservoir i ran to the store and grabbed a test kit and NEW refractometer, calibrated everything and tested my tank water. unfortunately they didnt have any filter socks.

According to the person in charge of the water changes they remove 20 gallons a month on the first Tuesday.

we havent added anything to the tank livestock wise and have lost a fish(not recent) so the tank is probably understocked if anything. Late 2018(November) We Added 45 lbs of Dry Rock to Aquarium(bringing it to around 80 lbs).

this tank had looked flawless up until Winter.

Parameters Tested
Salinity - 1.024
*Temperature - 73-74F
Ammonia - 0
**Nitrate - 20 ppm
Phosphates - 0
Ph - 8.2
Calcium - 460
dKH - 10
***Copper - 0

* This is usually 78+ during Spring, Summer, and Fall. (Heater Originally for 55-75 Gal)
** Scheduled Water Change on Tuesday
*** Tested for copper just in case, never would add copper.

My thoughts:
1. Temperature is Low, not sure if its low enough to kill coral.
2. A 20% water change a month is not enough.
3. New Rocks Caused an brown algae bloom and maybe thats killing them?
4. Salinity got a bit too high recently.
5. Filter Sock not being used maybe impacting the quality of the water the corals are used to?
6. taking a sample of water to my LFS maybe show something i cant test for.

Looking for suggestions on what to do as i don't want to do one thing and it be the wrong thing to do.

HELP!!!!
Please & thank you :)

Pictures will be uploaded Friday 3.1.2019 when i get home!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new rocks & low temp is my guess. Get it up to temp with additional heaters. I run 3 in the winter, 1 in other seasons. The rocks should be almost cycled by now so things should start turning around for you. Get a magnesium test as well. Corals look very unhappy with low mag and surprisingly not everyone tests for this. 20% WC a month is fine as long as your alk, cal, and mag do not fluctuate. I assume you have a doser, it sounds like a nice set up.

OP
OP
LEastham

LEastham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply,
i will grab a heater & mag test on the way home today, i do not have a doser, the corals looked amazing and now some look terrible.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply,
i will grab a heater & mag test on the way home today, i do not have a doser, the corals looked amazing and now some look terrible.
Gotcha. We will get it figured out ;).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I believe you may have stocked too soon. For beginner softies- Tank should run at least 45 days and SPS- 90+ days

bring temperature to 78 and salinity to 1.026. Do not add calcium- let it drop to 410 and dkh to 9.5. Youre on way..... just take it slow and do not let impulse get the best of you

Durandal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote low temp. Bring it up slowly(suggestions from someone more experienced with ramping temp in reef tanks?). Could be something else but this stands out to me as the most unusual parameter value.

Even the 76-78 range that is so popular is technically on the chilly side for tropical waters. An excursion down to 73 F from time to time, sure, but not consistently that low.

OP
OP
LEastham

LEastham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up people! sorry for being MIA!

Found the PROBLEM(S)after i got home... turns out the person(my son) in charge of the cleaning glass and cleaning the tank left a glass scrubber(flipper brand)
in the tank, i only found this out because i don't like using those, i use a razor blade on a rod.

anyways after removing it from the tank it smelled HORRIBLE and there was some white liquid around the edges of the empty area where it was on the glass.

Obviously this is not good, as it says right on the package my son bought not to leave it in the tank... anyways i have gone through and done a 20% water change on sunday opposed to today because of what i had found.

when doing the water change i found that my heater was also no working.
i have brought the temperature up to 78.3 with 2 NEW heaters.
although i don't think the temperature would cause the damage that the corals have endured.

I believe you may have stocked too soon. For beginner softies- Tank should run at least 45 days and SPS- 90+ days

bring temperature to 78 and salinity to 1.026. Do not add calcium- let it drop to 410 and dkh to 9.5. Youre on way..... just take it slow and do not let impulse get the best of you

the bio balls and majority of the rocks as well as the stock have been around and thriving for 3+ years... i haven't added anything in over 2 years, just new tank.

Simple Tank Maintenance Neglect is what i chalk this up to. WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN.

in the mean time...

i plan to do another water change maybe only 10% on tuesday next week,
And thinking about grabbing a carbon reactor to help clean up the water << thoughts on these ideas would be appreciated.

_3020004.jpg

_3020005.jpg

_3020006.jpg

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least you are eliminating possible causes as you go along which is a good thing but a small word of advice here. You keep mentioning ‘the person in charge of the water changes did this or did that’... my advice is never let anyone do anything with you tank unless you trust them completely. Sadly at the end of the day it is your tank and if they did something wrong then unfortunately you left them in charge. Don’t take that the wrong way, I’m just trying to help with the obvious. If you must leave somebody in charge, keep a diary and make sure everything even down to cleaning the glass is recorded. You have to check this every day so you can immediately correct anything that looks wrong.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Carbon is of benefit and utilizing carbon is not a bad idea. Just be sure to chabge it quarterly or as needed

OP
OP
LEastham

LEastham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since removing the glass cleaner, and doing a water change, increasing the temp,

the damage has appeared to have halted.

Lost about 3 corals... RIP
Carbon Reactor and Carbon in Route

At least you are eliminating possible causes as you go along which is a good thing but a small word of advice here. You keep mentioning ‘the person in charge of the water changes did this or did that’... my advice is never let anyone do anything with you tank unless you trust them completely. Sadly at the end of the day it is your tank and if they did something wrong then unfortunately you left them in charge. Don’t take that the wrong way, I’m just trying to help with the obvious. If you must leave somebody in charge, keep a diary and make sure everything even down to cleaning the glass is recorded. You have to check this every day so you can immediately correct anything that looks wrong.

i keep mentioning the person in charge of the tank because it is MY SONS tank... a system similar that was in place. obviously if the system had been followed i wouldn't be posting in the emergency section...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back