Corals Dying

NotFishyFishGuy

There’s a reason I’m broke now...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone so I ve been busy for the last 2 months with work and family emergencies so my tank hasn’t received much maintenance for a while. However, my corals I noticed have started to die. My fish are ok and water parameters seemed usual tho I haven’t checked alk, mag, or calcium. Filters haven’t been changed for a while tho I have done several water changes. Now I will clean it up but the picture below is from before I cleaned it up. I need to get it ready for the summer and get the corals good again. Please help and thanks in advance
aa3ff017afed8ffe0c0d30da43dbc94c.jpg
dae16f23cd930c0c789f2891447d3255.jpg
b6d40ca29dd5f4adefe7eb8019e4987d.jpg
84012276c7c9d27d530772d397c25228.jpg
the last picture is of my zoas which seem to be doing well. The first second and third are pictures of my frogs pawn and green star polyps which are dying. I think my frogspawn is beyond saving and my greens star polyp carpet is growing tho the top is dying off.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start by testing all parameters. Alk, Calc, Mag, Ammonia, Nitrate, Salinity and pH.

Let us know what the results are. Sounds like your Alk, Ammonia or Salinity might be off.

To give the corals a fighting chance I would advise a series of large water changes. Doing four 30% water changes over 2 weeks will get all your levels to an acceptable place and you can work on maintaining levels from there.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start by testing all parameters. Alk, Calc, Mag, Ammonia, Nitrate, Salinity and pH.

Let us know what the results are. Sounds like your Alk, Ammonia or Salinity might be off.

To give the corals a fighting chance I would advise a series of large water changes. Doing four 30% water changes over 2 weeks will get all your levels to an acceptable place and you can work on maintaining levels from there.
I will thanks

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last picture looks more like acan's than zoas... they look cool nonetheless.

Just like the previous poster suggested... do a series of water changes using the same water source, and wait a day or so and start testing. Good chance your parameters have dropped or fluctuated too much due to no maintenance/water changes so they just need to be picked back up and kept stable. If temperature fluctuated as well you might want to work on keeping that stable too.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last picture looks more like acan's than zoas... they look cool nonetheless.

Just like the previous poster suggested... do a series of water changes using the same water source, and wait a day or so and start testing. Good chance your parameters have dropped or fluctuated too much due to no maintenance/water changes so they just need to be picked back up and kept stable. If temperature fluctuated as well you might want to work on keeping that stable too.
Yeah Acans that’s what I meant. I get all the coral names mixed up lol. For my temperature I think I’m gonna get a new thermometer and maybe new heater. I’ll start tote water changes tomorrow. Do you think the frog spawn has a chance?

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I personally have not had any come back after looking like that. But you never know! As long as the tissue is still there, might come back

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As already said we really need a full set of water parameters including nitrate and phosphate and then we can try and see if we can help you out

I would also change the filters for clean ones.

Back