Corals excreting brown waste or zooxanthellae

  • Thread starter Thread starter John-
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

John-

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 15, 2024
Messages
29
Reaction score
6
Location
Morristown
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tank is 10 months old...learning as I go. ABout three weeks ago, I got a par meter and found out I was running my lights way too low, so I took them up to 85 for four hours , the dropped to 65% for the next five hours. I also added some reef brite bluesto my Radion 15, as I headr good things about them. Tank was doing great, but this week, three corals: a candy cane, an acan and a goni all started excreting the brown stringy strands I saw a torch do a while back. The candy cane has lost some of its puff as well. About a week ago, I also started dosing Flatwork stop as I added some acros and have heard more than one expert say the flatworm stop really helps acro tissue stability. So I am not sure if its the more intense lighting, or the extra feeding that has led to the corals seeming a little shocked or off balance. I have taken the lights down about 7% to 75% for the morning and then to 60% for the afternoon. But as a novice, I am still trying to figure this out. Also, a couple of zoa's have closed up and only open sporadically, when they used to be wide open. Other zoas though are thriving. Any thoughts on whats going on?
 
Pictures of the tank and corals will help. But you should not adjust the lights up and down. Just increase 5% or 10% per week until you get it where you want.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new