Corals finally added to my tank and is almost complete

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I posted previously saying I got some nice corals at a good price from buying out a tank… most people are commenting saying I got ripped off and the pieces are not rare. I didn’t mean “rare” in the way you guys think I meant. I just meant from the size of them and all the fish, and equipment I got with it was a rare deal in my eyes. I a fairly new to the hobby and most of you know better then me. But my friend who is quite experienced came with me and told me that everything I bought was really good price as I paid no more then 30-50$ per coral no matter which one it was. The frags I paid even less. But here is my tank now! I Hope you all enjoy and can give me your opinions, thank you. I’m a bit upset with everyone’s response in the last post but at least honesty was given and I appreciate that. I’m very happy with how the tank looks now and find the corals quite beautiful and it’s everything I wanted and more. I also received a TON of free equipment from the guy, including a reef mat and more for free. I did my research on each one before purchasing and compared pricing to my local stores and each piece was 5x the size and less then half the price so I’m quite happy. But thank you everyone! And sorry for the miss communication and writing the wrong number for what I paid !

FullSizeRender.jpeg FullSizeRender.jpeg IMG_1918.jpeg IMG_1920.jpeg IMG_1919.jpeg IMG_1895.jpeg

Last edited:

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Established, growing corals are almost always a good deal. Frags might be cheaper but rarely is survivablilty considered. I would point out in all my years of reef keeping the ongoing status of any of the systems I've maitianed or am maintiaing is "almost complete". :D

Here's some of the research arguing for buying larger, established growing corals.

Frag survival only 26% at 18 months

Large frags (7 cm) grow faster than small frags (1-2cm) (survival after 4 months was 83.5%)

Frag survival rate varied by species, size and substrate (survival after 17 months was 8% to 32%)

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I posted previously saying I got some nice corals at a good price from buying out a tank… most people are commenting saying I got ripped off and the pieces are not rare. I didn’t mean “rare” in the way you guys think I meant. I just meant from the size of them and all the fish, and equipment I got with it was a rare deal in my eyes. I a fairly new to the hobby and most of you know better then me. But my friend who is quite experienced came with me and told me that everything I bought was really good price as I paid no more then 30-50$ per coral no matter which one it was. The frags I paid even less. But here is my tank now! I Hope you all enjoy and can give me your opinions, thank you. I’m a bit upset with everyone’s response in the last post but at least honesty was given and I appreciate that. I’m very happy with how the tank looks now and find the corals quite beautiful and it’s everything I wanted and more. I also received a TON of free equipment from the guy, including a reef mat and more for free. I did my research on each one before purchasing and compared pricing to my local stores and each piece was 5x the size and less then half the price so I’m quite happy. But thank you everyone! And sorry for the miss communication and writing the wrong number for what I paid !

FullSizeRender.jpeg FullSizeRender.jpeg IMG_1918.jpeg IMG_1920.jpeg IMG_1919.jpeg IMG_1895.jpeg
Your coral look great!

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job, looks fantastic to me. I did not see the other thread. Ask 5 people and get 5 different answers. Around here you might get 10 lol.
The only person that has to be happy with your tank is You.

OP
OP
iwnltom

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job, looks fantastic to me. I did not see the other thread. Ask 5 people and get 5 different answers. Around here you might get 10 lol.
The only person that has to be happy with your tank is You.
Wow thank you I really needed that. Such a positive person. Honestly, after finding this deal I was so happy with what i presumed to be a deal. But after posting people are just talking nonesense on how it wasn’t a goo deal and everything is common it rlly upset me. Bevsuse before buying I really searched up all corals for sale from that man and I couldn’t even find baby versions of what I bought for more then double what I paid for the adult corals. So I really appreciate me and if you would like to message me privately I’d love to speak more. Have s great day and thanks again for the comment. I Hope you enjoy the photos and I’ve attached a link of a YouTube short of my tank since you cannot upload videos here. So here it is, please check it out! Thanks for all the positivity once again.

Attachments

• IMG_1974.png
    IMG_1974.png
    880 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1971.png
    IMG_1971.png
    632.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1958.jpeg
    IMG_1958.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 76658608d52242dba59293c1452da8a8.mov
    49.2 MB
OP
OP
iwnltom

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Established, growing corals are almost always a good deal. Frags might be cheaper but rarely is survivablilty considered. I would point out in all my years of reef keeping the ongoing status of any of the systems I've maitianed or am maintiaing is "almost complete". :D

Here's some of the research arguing for buying larger, established growing corals.

Frag survival only 26% at 18 months

Large frags (7 cm) grow faster than small frags (1-2cm) (survival after 4 months was 83.5%)

Frag survival rate varied by species, size and substrate (survival after 17 months was 8% to 32%)
Wow very interesting ! Thanks for the info !

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Beautiful! Love the rockscape!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thank you I really needed that. Such a positive person. Honestly, after finding this deal I was so happy with what i presumed to be a deal. But after posting people are just talking nonesense on how it wasn’t a goo deal and everything is common it rlly upset me. Bevsuse before buying I really searched up all corals for sale from that man and I couldn’t even find baby versions of what I bought for more then double what I paid for the adult corals. So I really appreciate me and if you would like to message me privately I’d love to speak more. Have s great day and thanks again for the comment. I Hope you enjoy the photos and I’ve attached a link of a YouTube short of my tank since you cannot upload videos here. So here it is, please check it out! Thanks for all the positivity once again.

Was the gem tang part of the recent coral purchase?? If so, you got a GREAT deal!! (Not that you didn't get a great deal regardless)

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said-if your happy thats what counts but also think in this hobby you also want other approval just because we put so much time and effort into our systems…

Its a niche hobby-when people see your aquarium you want them to be like thats sweet

My 2 cents

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ask a forum for opinions, you are going to get opinions good or bad.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back