Corals for Display Refugium - Suggestions Please

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m converting my Refugium to a display Refugium and would love suggestions about coral to put in there. Originally, I was going to use decorative macroalgae, but I’ve decided against that bc I want to use Vibrant regularly and the option to use other harsh algae treatments if needed. I’m thinking soft corals that are:
1) colorful and interesting looking
2) relatively fast growing and can be harvested to help with nutrient export
3) won’t bud off and colonize my DT (my Refugium outflow is guarded, but it sits inside my sump so overflow into the sump is possible on occasion)
Any help here would be greatly appreciated! BTW, I’ve ruled out Xenia (any type) after very bad experience with that monster. Thanks!

OP
OP
BostonReefer300

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good suggestion! They don't really spawn and will get everywhere they just grow in a mat. Maybe you could try leathers depending on your nutrient levels?
Thanks! I've always wanted leather corals, but now that I've started getting into SPS, I'm worried about having leathers in my system. I'm already having a hard enough time keeping my SPS happy. So far, I've settled on two long-tentacled rose bubble tip anemones and 4 types of polyps (yellow infused rainbow clove, orange infused rainbow clove, deep galaxy star, and grinch fuzz star---all from Jason Fox) and each has their own isolated rock. I put some fish in as well. Two juvenile skunk clowns who are serious anemone guests and two baby engineer gobies that I'll keep in the refugium until they're big enough to be in the DT without being eaten. I'll update my build thread with some pictures this weekend. Thanks again!

Back