Corals for Non Reef Safe Fish

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When fish are described as “non reef safe”; I think it falls into two (or three) categories. Fish that eat inverts. Fish that pick at coral. (And fish that do both).

When it comes to fish that “may” pick at coral. Are there any corals that are less likely to be picked on than other corals (more likely to be be picked at)??

Are certain corals more or less tasty to fish?

Thank you!

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a coral, but anemones may work if your water quality and light is good enough. Some fish may rip it apart though. My guess is your best bet is to have a pair of large and mean clownfish to defend the anemone if you want it to have a high chance of living.

But if I want to be completely honest, your walking into a territory that could potentially be way more hassle than its work. When you deal with non-reef safe fish you could end up with a monster fish that will eat basically anything, it depends on the individual quite a bit for certain species.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every fish is different.
Some fish may develop a taste for lps in your tank but in another persons tank that same fish will eat softies and not touch lps.

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf angels really enjoy their fleshy LPS like acans.

I think I read that leather corals tend to be more “non reef safe” fish friendly because apparently they taste very bad.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When fish are described as “non reef safe”; I think it falls into two (or three) categories. Fish that eat inverts. Fish that pick at coral. (And fish that do both).

When it comes to fish that “may” pick at coral. Are there any corals that are less likely to be picked on than other corals (more likely to be be picked at)??

Are certain corals more or less tasty to fish?

Thank you!
It’s best to research that particular fish that you want. Non reef safe is large term. For example, a copperband butterfly may eat LPS corals whereas a hawkfish may go after your inverts. So basically, you need to research if a particular fish is compatible with what you keep and want to keep.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hammer coral, and the fish I have ignore it (some may be considered non reef safe, but not necessarily for corals).

I did think about trying a anemone. I was just curious how simple corals would fair.

Thanks for the responses.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back