Corals in brand new tank with established bio media…how far / fast can I push this?!

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Once again my clownfish has turned into a psycho killer- fafafafafa. Went and bought a 32g Fiji Cube AIO so I could move the clown. I set it up with all new water and way more Seachem Matrix than necessary- the media has been in my system for a couple of years so it’s well seeded. I’m thinking of just doing a low maintenance “softy” tank…without sand. I’ve never went bare bottom before so I hope I don’t regret it two years from now. (I’m expecting to regret it in the next couple of months though) I added dry Marco yesterday for the aquascape. Not too long after I moved the clown over because I had her in a tiny acclimation box for three days. My main question is how long should I wait before moving some coals into there? I put a decent sized finger leather in last night and I’m fairly confident it will do fine (although I am concerned about nutrients being too low) And I know I said softy tank but I feel bad separating her from her nem so that’s something I might move over down the road. Possibly some euphyllia too because she loves that stuff…does anyone have an opinion about how long I should wait to add the bubble tip nem vs a leather or gorgonian…or any other corals? Sorry I’m sure this post is all over the place but I’m riding down the interstate with my gf right now and her driving is distracting me somewhat!! Thanks

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Go for it. I don't think you need to wait. They key is knowing the rhythm of the tank.
True that. I don’t think moving a bta and expecting it to attach to a brand new rock is going to work. water chemistry and lights yes, brand new aquascape though- I’m not so sure.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go all in. So long as the tank is cycled for the fish, in my opinion the other stuff will be fine. When I set up my nem tank, I used a few rocks from my sump on the reef tank and the rest were dry. Next day I threw in 28 RBTAs a long with a few leathers and they are thriving. It’s been a 3-4 months now I think since start up.
IMG_8408.jpeg

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would go all in. So long as the tank is cycled for the fish, in my opinion the other stuff will be fine. When I set up my nem tank, I used a few rocks from my sump on the reef tank and the rest were dry. Next day I threw in 28 RBTAs a long with a few leathers and they are thriving. It’s been a 3-4 months now I think since start up.
IMG_8408.jpeg
Good to know! I’m definitely cycled. Time to move them nem.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True that. I don’t think moving a bta and expecting it to attach to a brand new rock is going to work. water chemistry and lights yes, brand new aquascape though- I’m not so sure.

I still think a bubbletip would be fine.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I still think a bubbletip would be fine.
I think you’re right. I’m just hesitant whether or not it would attach to a rock that doesn’t even have biofilm on it…either way I’m going to move an established rock in there with it just in case. I’ll update what happens…hopefully it doesn’t die in the powerhead!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re right. I’m just hesitant whether or not it would attach to a rock that doesn’t even have biofilm on it…either way I’m going to move an established rock in there with it just in case. I’ll update what happens…hopefully it doesn’t die in the powerhead!

I wouldn't think the biofilm matters for them to attach.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again my clownfish has turned into a psycho killer- fafafafafa. Went and bought a 32g Fiji Cube AIO so I could move the clown. I set it up with all new water and way more Seachem Matrix than necessary- the media has been in my system for a couple of years so it’s well seeded. I’m thinking of just doing a low maintenance “softy” tank…without sand. I’ve never went bare bottom before so I hope I don’t regret it two years from now. (I’m expecting to regret it in the next couple of months though) I added dry Marco yesterday for the aquascape. Not too long after I moved the clown over because I had her in a tiny acclimation box for three days. My main question is how long should I wait before moving some coals into there? I put a decent sized finger leather in last night and I’m fairly confident it will do fine (although I am concerned about nutrients being too low) And I know I said softy tank but I feel bad separating her from her nem so that’s something I might move over down the road. Possibly some euphyllia too because she loves that stuff…does anyone have an opinion about how long I should wait to add the bubble tip nem vs a leather or gorgonian…or any other corals? Sorry I’m sure this post is all over the place but I’m riding down the interstate with my gf right now and her driving is distracting me somewhat!! Thanks
It's hard for me to get a grip on this... it's honestly only my opinion but seems like your rushing into this, it all looks great now but further down the line you will have 'algae blooms, Dino's, all the worst possible effects of owning an aquarium.. if I read correctly'...
The worst case scenario is just like now your asking for advice and ignoring all advise given and just doing it, in the most politeness way possible I wish you the best success, if you can provide postcode of your location... I will look for it on Craig's list

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
95% of mine stayed put on new rock. Now my nem tank is specifically for the nems and my fish. So I do not use power heads. I rely only on the return pump flow.
Did I get some diatomes, green algae and stuff? Yes. But not too bad, and now it’s about all gone. But I’ve got some inverts to help.
I’m just telling you my experience.
Over this tank, I run a smart farm light, a return pump and two heaters. That’s it.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
95% of mine stayed put on new rock. Now my nem tank is specifically for the nems and my fish. So I do not use power heads. I rely only on the return pump flow.
Did I get some diatomes, green algae and stuff? Yes. But not too bad, and now it’s about all gone. But I’ve got some inverts to help.
I’m just telling you my experience.
Over this tank, I run a smart farm light, a return pump and two heaters. That’s it.
Now that you mention it I suppose there really is no reason for the powerhead other than to kill my nems…the return pump that came with the tank moves plenty of water. And I think I would be fine with letting gsp cover the whole bottom. I’m looking forward to having a low maintenance tank.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you mention it I suppose there really is no reason for the powerhead other than to kill my nems…the return pump that came with the tank moves plenty of water. And I think I would be fine with letting gsp cover the whole bottom. I’m looking forward to having a low maintenance tank.
For sure! I’m no expert of course and these are my first nems. I got them from my friend that decided he didn’t want them anymore because they would get onto frags and or power heads. I upgraded tanks earlier this year so my 65 gallon aio was just the perfect home for them.
He had lots of flow and the tentacles were long and slender… my tank has 2 outlets that each Y. So there is just enough flow for nice gentle swaying and they are bubbling up.
When I first started it up, I was going to go bare bottom but the wife likes inverts and sand just looks better I think. I feed the tank heavy but have lots of critters to help out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back