Corals losing color

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. about 6 months ago or so i upgraded from a 75 to a 125. The setup is pretty similar, i use an ATS for nutrient control. When i switched over i changed from a chinese black box light to 3 Radion G5 XR15s. In the new setup my nutrients have stayed lower than before, usually about .04 Phosphate and <5 nitrate. Corals have been losing color steadily and i dont think it's really bleaching... for instance, my PC rainbow frag has reverted to almost all neon-green. Same with my BC rainbows in spain. Just slightly purple on the tips, but mostly neon green. my birdsnest are not as fluffy as they used to be and are also very light green, and my orange digis are pink now. A couple weeks ago i turned the ATS down by a couple hours at night, and now my whole sandbed has become covered with diatoms again... the diamond goby is normally able to keep it white.
Is the tank going to go through an ugly phase again just because i tried to increase the nutrients a little?
What should i be looking at first to color up the corals in you opinion... more likely lighting or nutrients?

AAD0B5D9-365B-4D02-874F-B950A0986099.jpeg A3DBB820-78AB-42D6-97E5-1D2E9B34889D.jpeg

Hendo1133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know from everything I have come across often times corals switching to a more green color is due to lower PAR, how high above the water do you have your lights and what level are you running them at? If you have access to a PAR meter you can borrow that may be a good thing to check out. I noticed some of my acros really start to get some green hues when my PAR wasn't high enough, but otherwise looked healthy.

Back