Corals not doing good

netdawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the group being concerned about the pristine white of your tank after almost a year, especially with no noticeable clean up crew critters in the pic. By any chance are you completely sifting that sand when you do your water changes? If I saw this pic and had to guess the age of the tank I would say less than 90 days old.

Something is not jiving well with what the tank shows and what you are reading on params. Do you have enough circulation to remove the canister filter for a bit if you want to test it as a source of your ammonia?

netdawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, considering the corals you have you probably need to have the trace items checked; calcium, mag, phosphate, etc. What are you feeding/adding for the coral?

gonioporagirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ph looks low. The ph in saltwater should be from 8.1 to 8.3. I would add marine buffer to raise your ph

netdawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have missed it, but how old is this tank setup? the swings here don't make sense unless its a new tank

netdawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and what salt are you using? Mag swinging high won't be quickly detrimental from my experience, but again the aggressive swings you are seeing don't feel right

netdawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, half of them. The other half I bought 6 months ago. Also forgot to mention. My biggest mistake was not changing the media. I bought this setup as a cichlid tank. I didn't change the pads or bio media before starting this tank. So on this tank I had the pads and bio media forever. If I remove it, the bacteria would be lost and cause a cycle(not all). I talked to innapropriatereefer and he recommended me using marine pure block in my canister. What are your thoughts? I will take a picture later today showing the filter pads, bio media, etc. I am confused on what to do. I heard so many varying opinions. Wouldn't the marine block trap the detritus even further because it's so big? I was just thinking on cutting the filterpads and removing them in chunks at a time to not cause a cycle. And I should also remove the bio media. If I go with the block will it be good? I read that it can cause hgher nitrates and ammonia. I don't know what to do

I'm re-reading the thread... please add more detail here. Are you saying you just emptied freshwater and used the same filters, media and all, in the new saltwater setup? Any idea if the freshwater tank was ever treated with medications?

OP
OP
C

Clipsterzzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running this set up for a year now. I use instant ocean. Yes, I'm not sure if medications were used.it was a cichlids tank.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 117 76.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back