CORALS NOT LOOKING GOOD

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 in the afternoon 8 at nite tank is about 7 months old already went through dino bloom and red slime for nitrates I have a marine pure 8x8 block was gonna add more but didn’t want to over do it I do have microbacter 7 on hand
Okay, 12-8. That's kind of a short light time. And what about your light? You didn't answer where they were at. Whites and Reds & Greens. You wont over do Microbacter if you follow the instructions on the bottle. I dose Microbacter Clean @ 5ml daily when I have algae problems for 2 weeks straight. And just because you have already went through the ugly stage doesn't mean that it can't come back. Clearly this is what you are seeing right now is that it has come back. I really would do an ICP test if I were you. And change your lighting.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contacted ecotech I have the Mobius app to control my lights I don’t know how to program them to a specific color

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using g the lps program from ecotech
Okay but what are the percentages?? Doesn't mean that it doesn't grow algae. I used the SPS on my light (Noopsyche) but changed it completely because it had whites, reds & greens at 80%. I'm just trying to tell you where your algae is most likely coming from as you are asking for help. Every tank is individual and has individual requirements. There is no one-size-fits-all in this Hobby. Just because a big company like Ecotech says that that is good for growing LPS's doesn't mean it will work in every tank.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contacted ecotech I have the Mobius app to control my lights I don’t know how to program them to a specific color
Check out YouTube and find a video on how. I can almost guarantee you that's where a lot of your problem is coming from. I had my Red's up at 30% for a week as I was doing a little experiment with coral coloration and it made algae go crazy in my tank. I turned it back to 3% and now I'm in the process of fighting it back off.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mentioned Microbcater 7 my tank is 200 gallons how much would I dose never really never understood iit

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights were at 50% using ab plus program but change them to 30% using lps program

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights were at 50% using ab plus program but change them to 30% using lps program
As I said I had mine at 30% and I went from clean coralline rocks to red slime and hair in a week. Turned it back down to 3% at max and fought it off with Microbacter Clean and Razor Marine. It's almost gone again. It can be very tough to get rid of especially if you don't fix the underlying issue.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say you have a low nutrient system which is a good thing so the dosage for upkeep on a LNS is 20ml once a week. No sooner than once a week. If you have a protein skimmer or UV sterilizer shut it/both off for a period of 4 hours after dosing Microbacter after which you can resume operating that equipment.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about carbon and Gfo?
I won't ever use GFO. It strips out more than just phosphates. There are plenty of products that remove just phosphate so there no reason not to use them instead. Some reefers will tell you GFO is fine but personally I would never use it in my tank. It strips trace elements out of your water and has some other disadvantages as well. Carbon is okay but it's better for clearing up your water. And carbon you only want to run for a couple hours a day. I run carbon in my tank right now but only from 10pm to midnight. The best thing to get rid of phosphates in my opinion is Phosphat-E. You already are running the bio bricks (I forget the band you said) those will help give plenty of surface area for the bacteria in Microbacter a place to colonize. Brush off the algae with a toothbrush a d do a water change at the same time sucking out what you brush off. You dont want it floating around in your tank. You may have to do it several weeks in a row before you finally get it all gone. I would definitely figure out how to adjust that light and turn the whites back to maybe 20% and the Reds and greens down to maybe 5 %. You can crank the Blues, dark blues and UV up higher and I would run your light for 10 hours instead of eight. That is something you can experiment with and change back or run longer if you'd like. I run my lights for 12 hours a day. If you have trouble removing the algae off the rocks I dose Razor Marine by Brightwell Aquatics which helps loosen all of the gunk off of your surfaces.

Screenshot_20200730-001506.png

proxy001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30% schedule intensity? What does your graph say on mobius 30?
I made the same mistake as you and kept lowering my lights and then... I got a par meter. I was way too low. Again I dont know how many you have, how high etc but why did you change from AB+ to LPS in the first place and why lower the intensity during the change? LPS has less intensity to begin with I think.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30% schedule intensity? What does your graph say on mobius 30?
I made the same mistake as you and kept lowering my lights and then... I got a par meter. I was way too low. Again I dont know how many you have, how high etc but why did you change from AB+ to LPS in the first place and why lower the intensity during the change? LPS has less intensity to begin with I think.
I'm not sure how that app works so I can't give him exact pointers. I just want him to try turning down the White, Red & Green channel to get his algae problem under control. I need to know percentages of all of them and I can't get him to tell me what they are. If Blues are at 80 I would tell him to turn them up to 95-100 or higher if you can. I know the AI primes you can go past 100 to 120. Jose you dont want to completely kill the intensity as proxy001 is saying. If you turn some down you have to turn others up AND as I suggested run them for 10 hours instead of 8. I personally feel 8 hours is a really short time to have your lights on for.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i went from ab+ because i was introducing sps thats when i got the algae bloom red slime dinos so in the end but they all died so i was told to use chemi clean which i did thats i deciced sps werent for so i went back lps so i just changed the light program to lps on the mobius app it shows 30%

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't ever use GFO. It strips out more than just phosphates. There are plenty of products that remove just phosphate so there no reason not to use them instead. Some reefers will tell you GFO is fine but personally I would never use it in my tank. It strips trace elements out of your water and has some other disadvantages as well.

What products remove just phosphate? I'm not aware of any.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so what could it be? mag being high is all im seeing i dont really know what else could it be as far as other problems what do i look for

Sadly, lots of folks have issues that they do not determine what it is.

i do agree that dinos and toxins could be an issue.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K so as far as the mag how do I lower it my salt mix is to high as far as the mag

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back