corals occasionally expel zooxanthellae

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folk,

Is it normal for corals to expel zooxanthellae occasionally? The reason I'm asking is because sometimes my coral will expel their zooxanthellae like once every two weeks or a month. The other finding is my coral will turn a little pale compares when it's first introduced from the LFS. Hope someone can give me some adive. Thank you!

Paremter checked last Monday
430 calcium
11.2 dkh
1400 maginusm
0.04 po4
12 no3

Kris.C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they're Lps and getting pale sounds like possible bleaching. Are you acclimating the corals with your lighting? Also are you sure you're not confusing coral waste with zooxanthelae? It's possible for corals to excrete the stuff but I've never heard of them spitting it out weekly unless you have excessive lighting on the piece causing it to possibly over produce and excrete routinely. From my experience excessive zooxanthellae excretion will just cause the piece to bleach and eventually pass. If it's excreting, not losing color and not dying it's probably just pooping.

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they're Lps and getting pale sounds like possible bleaching. Are you acclimating the corals with your lighting? Also are you sure you're not confusing coral waste with zooxanthelae? It's possible for corals to excrete the stuff but I've never heard of them spitting it out weekly unless you have excessive lighting on the piece causing it to possibly over produce and excrete routinely. From my experience excessive zooxanthellae excretion will just cause the piece to bleach and eventually pass. If it's excreting, not losing color and not dying it's probably just pooping.

For some of the corala, its base color is still there but it lost the glowing effect after they been in the water for like a week

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 73 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back