Corals or fishes first in a new tank?

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im currently new to this hobby. I am in the process of cycling my tank with MB7 right now. (started last week and just added fish food to boost ammonia last night, so hopefully would finish cycling next week.) I have a question regarding which is safer to add first, fishes or corals? which is safer for mistakes so I wouldn't lose my hard earned money if it were to die in a few days or weeks

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im currently new to this hobby. I am in the process of cycling my tank with MB7 right now. (started last week and just added fish food to boost ammonia last night, so hopefully would finish cycling next week.) I have a question regarding which is safer to add first, fishes or corals? which is safer for mistakes so I wouldn't lose my hard earned money if it were to die in a few days or weeks
Imo either fish first, or both fish and corals. You can add corals first, but then just have to consider how to feed them.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being new to the saltwater hobby I would read/watch (brs videos are good ones) as many as pertinent to your current tank stage. I would definitely add fish well before adding corals. Depending on the types of corals you want to add I would wait atleast a few months after the tank is cycled and stable. At that point do some research on the types of corals you want and add a few, be patient and see how they do.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Ive watched their videos alot, but then my mind went boggling when suddenly my LFS said to add corals first because its less "sensitive" or something. but based on the answers, I guess Ill go with fishes first!
Being new to the saltwater hobby I would read/watch (brs videos are good ones) as many as pertinent to your current tank stage. I would definitely add fish well before adding corals. Depending on the types of corals you want to add I would wait atleast a few months after the tank is cycled and stable. At that point do some research on the types of corals you want and add a few, be patient and see how they do.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely the correct decision. Fish waste is coral food. The system needs the fish to start providing nutrients before corals are added.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
No problem!

I mean I always just added whatever I wanted in my tank when the cycle's done, but let's just say I am not exactly a conventional reefer. XD
haha conventional or not atleast you've been in this hobby for a long time and is considered a pro. Im still so excited in adding my fish so Im pretty sure Im going to be emotionally connected with my first fish xD

SkinnyMcGinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish first. I believe it takes tanks longer to settle in their parameters to support corals. It took me a couple of years to get my tank to a place where I felt confident growing corals. Now I have acros growing outta the water.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They would be starving for nutrients without fish. I would add fish, keep an eye on algae to make sure it doesn't go wild, and start adding a clean up crew. Once things look stable start adding coral. It might take a few months but slow and deliberate consistently gets the best results.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I side with fish as they will accelarate the cycle process and produce waste which contributes to the nitrogen and ecosystem. Coral can first be added to an aquarium when it has finished its Nitrogen Cycle, and the various algae blooms have passed. Adequate lighting, regular maintenance, frequent water changes, and stable water parameters will then help the coral grow.
The other advantage is fish are normally most prone to or develop diseases early after acclimation and if you had a good investment in corals and then add fish that acquire a disease, you will be faced with getting medications that are non-copper based or QT and if you dont catch it in time, you risk losing your corals and invertebrates. This therefore allows the fish to acclimate and maintain good health before the stocking of coral.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Ive watched their videos alot, but then my mind went boggling when suddenly my LFS said to add corals first because its less "sensitive" or something. but based on the answers, I guess Ill go with fishes first!

I side with fish as they will accelarate the cycle process and produce waste which contributes to the nitrogen and ecosystem. Coral can first be added to an aquarium when it has finished its Nitrogen Cycle, and the various algae blooms have passed. Adequate lighting, regular maintenance, frequent water changes, and stable water parameters will then help the coral grow.
The other advantage is fish are normally most prone to or develop diseases early after acclimation and if you had a good investment in corals and then add fish that acquire a disease, you will be faced with getting medications that are non-copper based or QT and if you dont catch it in time, you risk losing your corals and invertebrates. This therefore allows the fish to acclimate and maintain good health before the stocking of coral.
Totally agree with vetteguy! Don't fall into the LFS trap that I fell into... I had a numerous coral (by advice of my LFS and not knowing any better) and then added several fish. Low and behold, exactly as vetteguy pointed out, ich/velvet and had to get all my fish out to treat. Not a fun experience. Wish I would have known better then...

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, didn't know that at first. I wonder why my LFS recommended corals first but thank you for the insight my dude! Will definitely go for fishes first

Lostreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you quarantine your corals. Think I brought in velvet to my tank on a coral.

Lostreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you bring in all of the water with it?

Did you go through a dip process?
I dipped in CoralRx but did not quarantine. Did not remove from plug. Might have been eggs on plug. Didn’t realize at the time this can happen but apparently can be common. Learned the hard way.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back