Corals struggling with dino outbreak

  • Thread starter Thread starter tchat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

tchat

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 11, 2026
Messages
50
Reaction score
29
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I confirmed dinoflagellate outbreak in my 75 gal with microscopy. Since this started my frogspawn has been looking sickly (deflated and one of the heads retracting).

I’m correcting nutrients, dosing silicate and diatom phyto, added pods, and added some biomedia from an established system… it’s one of them that doesn’t respond well to UV.

I have another 3 gal pico tank I could move the frogspawn to but I would want to dip it in some sort of peroxide to avoid adding a ton of dinos to the 3 gal. Given that it’s already stressed I’m afraid that could kill it but I’m afraid of doing nothing as well..

Would you favor leaving it where it’s at and hoping that nutrient correction will improve its health? Or take more aggressive action by dipping and transferring to a new tank? Or maybe something else like a lugols or KFC dip?

This sucks 😩
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new