Corals vs Corals...Fight!!! (w/ Pictures)

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, meant my hammer garden.
Hammers are still euphyllia. I'd guess that the hammer will sting the shroom. That being said, I have palys growing in my hammers and frogspawn, but I have a green fuzzy thing getting beat back by the hammer. So I guess that it's up to the corals, lol.

badams.one

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammers are still euphyllia. I'd guess that the hammer will sting the shroom. That being said, I have palys growing in my hammers and frogspawn, but I have a green fuzzy thing getting beat back by the hammer. So I guess that it's up to the corals, lol.
Lol.. thanks for sharing.

xenttt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one have any coral war experience with Rhodactis Mushrooms? I have some growing up a rock where I have my torch garden. I'm thinking I should be okay, but after reading this thread and seeing what others have posted about discos and yumas I'm having second thoughts. Thoughts?

From my experience with one that just doesn't want to attach to anything... it won't lose any wars. Many times when i first got it, it would just roll around the tank all night touching everything and be fine the day after. One or 2 times, i would find it caught in the intake of my HOB filter but it recovered just fine.

As for the other corals, there didn't seem to be any damage except minor receding on my brain coral.

NISMO703

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning and my acan was attempting to eat my candy cane. Lost two heads of the candy cane but was able to salvage one head.

54D0CFEC-BB70-4507-A88F-EA8752647546.jpeg 7F5C7942-0D98-488B-8CC1-6B3F1C9A4C45.jpeg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question here and doing some preventative maintenance.
I'm getting ready to set up a mushroom garden table. I have several different species of mushrooms.
From the looks of this thread certain mushrooms can be monsters!
Right now I'm not having any problems on the racks.
Everything has 3 inches of space give or take but who's going to play nice together all housed together on rubble rock and able to invade each other's territory?
Have quite a few different Bounces.
Jaw Breakers
Elephant Ear
Ricordia
You name it.
I dont want to be back here in a few months with who beat what as I have some really high end collectibles I'm trying to keep safe.
Have noticed the bounces and ricordea will eat mysis shrimp is it safe to assume they are the most aggressive?

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LRT, I don't know what "bounces" are, but IME all ricordia and discosoma are aggressive, although generally not so much towards each other. And for any type of mushroom, 3" of space is nothing.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LRT, I don't know what "bounces" are, but IME all ricordia and discosoma are aggressive, although generally not so much towards each other. And for any type of mushroom, 3" of space is nothing.
Thanks @PhreeByrd the Bounce is specified as Rhodactis coral. Have some more research to do here appreciate the input!

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this thread! My pincushion urchin picked up and dropped a torch coral frag on my platygyra brain back in October. You can see the exposed skeleton damage in the picture below.

Funny enough, the brain fully recovered and has doubled in size and the torch has since bleached out and lost a head. Haha! I need to get a picture of my hairy mushroom that's basically devoured a small candy cane frag that was next to it. Mushrooms are a lot more vicious than I would have thought!

1589208927328.png

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen it asked several times in this thread but not answered. Are these battles just from not understanding distance requirements or putting stuff in locations because it looks good there?

Thanks

Last edited:

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen it asked several times in this thread but not answered. Are these battles just from not understanding distance requirements or putting stuff I'm locations because it looks good there?

Thanks
What kind of question is this? This is a fun thread, don't bring high horse attitude in.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evidently you read it wrong. Since I'm putting first corals in the tank soon I'm just wondering. I was trying to plan where I'm putting corals then I just happened across this thread and thought "well this isn't simple".

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evidently you read it wrong. Since I'm putting first corals in the tank soon I'm just wondering. I was trying to plan where I'm putting corals then I just happened across this thread and thought "well this isn't simple".
It sounded like you were saying that the only reason this happens is because people didn't research first.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen it asked several times in this thread but not answered. Are these battles just from not understanding distance requirements or putting stuff in locations because it looks good there?

Thanks

In some cases it's a little of both, actually. Novice reef keepers may not fully understand a coral's aggressive capabilities and/or the coral is placed where it is believed it will do best (which might also be a location that suits various other corals that they have acquired).

Back in the day, people used to routinely put corals 12" or more away from each other so that they would never touch. If the aquarium did well, what you ended up with was a tank of nice specimens...that looked nothing like a natural reef.

All the animals are battling for space on the reef since real estate is typically very limited. We can simulate this in a reef tank by placing the corals closer to each other, but what can eventually happen as they grow and interact is that you end up with just a few dominant species (or possibly even just one or two that take over), which isn't what most people are after. This is where the aquarist often steps in and relocates a coral that is obviously in a bad way so that it doesn't perish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back