Corals where to order from

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can personally vouch for AquaSD and Your Reef (who is/was running a sale today, you can likely still grab a few great steals!) for West Coast orders. Both are priced well (IMO) and have excellent shipping!
Your reef?! I live down the street from them. Cool to see them getting some love

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to know how you guys with 10g tanks manage algae. I have one that is constantly covered. Manual removal 4 times a week and a small skimmer with small cuc is not working. Just ordered a new return pump and a small canister filter for it.

Scooters Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to know how you guys with 10g tanks manage algae. I have one that is constantly covered. Manual removal 4 times a week and a small skimmer with small cuc is not working. Just ordered a new return pump and a small canister filter for it.
Not to high jack the post/thread but I too keep a 10g tank and use it as my observation/QT. Though it has turned into a long term holding facility at this point.
I keep PO4 at 0.04-0.06 (hanna ULR) and nitrates at 10-20ppm. Keeping a steady nutrient level and a few of the right clean up crew who can fit in the spaces where algae likes to grow is the key. I use two Astrea Snails, and a Springeri Damsel as the permanents. If they get behind on duties or the Springeri starts farming algae in too many different areas... I will add a blue leg hermit and/or a small Top Crown Snail. Usually end up taking the Crab and Top Crown back out after a few days and things begin looking in order. Inevitably a few little spots in between heads of Caulastraea I will have a stubborn spot of hair algae that comes back persistently and nobody can reach it. A tang would be perfect solution but alas the 10g tank is too big for a tang. lol. I kid.

I also try and do a 25-50% water change every 2 weeks. Usually ends up being around 3-4 gallons replaced with my WC. Being sure to suck up all detritus I can. Add to that a small HOB and two small in tank wave makers. Seems to work. I am certain there is a better way but this is my way and it's working. After the coral has been in here a few months I can be fairly certain it is clean. It's amazing how small Aiptasia, algae and other hitchhikers can be on a seemingly clean frag. Give it a little bit of undisturbed time and the uglies always show up. Then I glue, scrape, brush, them away.

Hope it helps. I have had more success in my 10g than my DT. lol I might get another.

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a fan of buying in person if you can. For online purchases aquasd & corals anonymous are usually my go-to's. Also a big fan of the auctions from Pieces of the Ocean.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying in person is almost always cheaper since you don't pay the shipping. That's important to me, the less things cost the more I can get heh. I've got some of my biggest colonies from the store down the street and if I had got them online they would have cost 100's more.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 113 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back