Corals

SpaceInvader98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank has been running for 6 weeks, its 20g has 1 maroon clownfish and an urchin with some snails. All doing amazing and I test the water every 2 days and all good. So I need help in choosing corals, I'm planning to add them in 2 weeks so the tank then will be 8 weeks old. The temperature is always at 27° so its really stable. I want a coral that likes really high flow because I have a wave maker 50 % directed at a rock. And I need corals that like medium to low flow. Would appreciate to be provided by the best corals for the tank I have. Thanks.

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting are you running and hgt above tank ?
How much flow do have per hour in tank?
What’s your hardscape look like and how tall is rock from top of water ?

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to recommend Green Star Polyp or GSP (Pachyclavularia violacea) it's an awesome hardy coral. Provides lots of movement, and a vibrant color. There are even a few varieties and other species which have other colors. They can be invasive so if you don't want them all over your tank keep them isolated on a bit of rock on the sand. (even when covering most of the rock work they it can make for an amazing tank) I have a patch in medium high flow in the front right of my tank on my build thread.

Leathers, and other softies are also excellent first corals. Some can also be invasive, and placement will be important, as not all like to be blasted with light or flow.

I have brought my blastomussa wellsi to the brink of death and back so I think they could be an excellent LPS coral to start with.

Montipora are probably the most forgiving of the SPS, but harder than the rest mentioned.

There are lots of awesome easy corals I haven't listed, so hopefully some others chime in. Welcome to reef keeping and good luck with your first corals! My first corals were an exciting experience I am unlikely to ever forget!

ChaseB143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are always a good choice as long as you get some of the nicer ones that aren’t going to take over your tank. What type of urchin is it? You have to be careful with some urchins and zoas.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 weeks is a bit short for corals as the tank
Must still go through the ugly stages.
Once all 8 parameters have remained completely stable for three months and all signs of pest algae have gone, add what you wish
If you add early, algae will come and kill your expensive corals.
A7C672B7-2EA6-4AEC-907C-0ACA2EDC059D.jpeg

OP
OP
SpaceInvader98

SpaceInvader98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting are you running and hgt above tank ?
How much flow do have per hour in tank?
What’s your hardscape look like and how tall is rock from top of water ?
The wavemaker is about 9000L / hr figured out that it's too much so I just aimed it at the back glass but to be honest doesn't seem like its even 9000L and hrs looks less. But my clownfish keeps playing with it all day he loves swimming against it for some reason even though I have it aimed at only 10% of the tank. The lights I don't really know what they are but I can change them to many colours. My light schedule is 4 hrs of yellow/white color looks like sun color. Then 4 hrs of blue. And for the rocks I attached an image.
20191208_184902.jpg

OP
OP
SpaceInvader98

SpaceInvader98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to recommend Green Star Polyp or GSP (Pachyclavularia violacea) it's an awesome hardy coral. Provides lots of movement, and a vibrant color. There are even a few varieties and other species which have other colors. They can be invasive so if you don't want them all over your tank keep them isolated on a bit of rock on the sand. (even when covering most of the rock work they it can make for an amazing tank) I have a patch in medium high flow in the front right of my tank on my build thread.

Leathers, and other softies are also excellent first corals. Some can also be invasive, and placement will be important, as not all like to be blasted with light or flow.

I have brought my blastomussa wellsi to the brink of death and back so I think they could be an excellent LPS coral to start with.

Montipora are probably the most forgiving of the SPS, but harder than the rest mentioned.

There are lots of awesome easy corals I haven't listed, so hopefully some others chime in. Welcome to reef keeping and good luck with your first corals! My first corals were an exciting experience I am unlikely to ever forget!
Took a look at all of them they all look so colourful and good, I really like them thanks :D looking forward for it

OP
OP
SpaceInvader98

SpaceInvader98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a small black long spined urchin
Zoas are always a good choice as long as you get some of the nicer ones that aren’t going to take over your tank. What type of urchin is it? You have to be careful with some urchins and zoas.

OP
OP
SpaceInvader98

SpaceInvader98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 weeks is a bit short for corals as the tank
Must still go through the ugly stages.
Once all 8 parameters have remained completely stable for three months and all signs of pest algae have gone, add what you wish
If you add early, algae will come and kill your expensive corals.
A7C672B7-2EA6-4AEC-907C-0ACA2EDC059D.jpeg
Thanks for the advice cool tank :D

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back