Coralvue Hydros Automated Water Testing Unit - MAVEN - ALK/CAL/MAG/PHOS/NITRATE

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with others, I have substantial sums “invested” in Apex. But solutions like this particular product might just be the catalyst for me to switch over. The design appears practical and the addition of NO3/PO4 sadly is important for me due to my feeding patterns. Very interested!
You can use it stand alone. I slowly converted to Hydros from the Archon starting over 3 years ago. To begin with I was passing signals between them using relays. The inputs on the Hydros were sense ports where I would connect the switch inputs to the analog input on the sense port. I used switch inputs on the Archon. It would depend on the relay what output I used to drive them. So there can be simple signals sent between the two controllers if needed. If you want to use the test readings for dynamic dosing you can use the two drive ports to run a couple of simple dosers as long as you are dosing a large enough amount each dose. For smaller doses Hydros has a 2ml per minute dosing pump but it is AC powered but you could add a XP8 to the Maven and create a collective and you would have 8 AC outlets you can control with the test results. Creating a collective requires a bus cable to connect between controllers and a minimum of 1 terminator but 2 is better and will be needed for larger collectives. The terminator is a resistor that is needed to allow communication between the controllers on the command bus which is a CAN type bus system. They also have wifi power strips and outlets but those require wifi communication between the controller and the power strips to be commanded on r off so if communications is lost the outlets will remain in whatever state they are in until communication is restored. For that reason I do not recommend using them for dosing, ATO or AWC purposes.

SocalS14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of switching from one's current controller brand, why not run this in addition to one's current controller? Use this for testing and to add some system redundancy, it's standalone. Why take such a loss on what you have already invested in? Assuming your current controller is working for you, and you are not completely dissatisfied with it.
Yea, very reasonable approach considering Hydros is so modular. The integration though, would be stellar - I can imagine controlling my carbon dosing and 2 part with the Maven.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, very reasonable approach considering Hydros is so modular. The integration though, would be stellar - I can imagine controlling my carbon dosing and 2 part with the Maven.
Depending on how much you dose each time you dose there is a Hydros simple dosing pump that can be run off of a drive port which the Maven has 2. So you can control 2 dosing pumps that are a fixed rate of near 43ml a minute. The pump has to run at least 2.5 seconds each dose but the closer you can get to 1 minute the more accurate you dose. You can also use dynamic dosing as long as the minimum dose at any time does not drop below a 2.5 second runtime on the pump. You can also add more drive ports by getting a XD controller which has 3 drive ports and getting a command bus cable and a couple of terminators. Then you can create a collective and control the 3 drive ports on the XD using test results from the Maven.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are seeing this and want to make it clear that THE HYDROS MAVEN CAN BE STANDALONE :)

It could be your first entry into the HYDROS universe. However, as with ALL HYDROS, you can start anywhere and continue to add on.

The Maven is a Control and an AutoTester. It has 2 Sense ports to where you could add leak detectors, water level, temp sensor, ANY SENSE PORT ACCESSORY. It also has Drive Ports to add Dosers, ATO Pumps, etc. And as mentioned, you can expand with more HYDROS Controls to grow your Collective!

Fun HYDROS times ahead!
This is exactly what I’m thinking. If the Maven does well, it’s an easy switch from Apex.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of switching from one's current controller brand, why not run this in addition to one's current controller? Use this for testing and to add some system redundancy, it's standalone. Why take such a loss on what you have already invested in? Assuming your current controller is working for you, and you are not completely dissatisfied with it.
This is exactly what I have been thinking. I’m heavily invested in Apex (2016 unit with an extra eb832 and two Sky’s) but don’t yet have a Trident or a DOS. I would run the Maven for testing with their dosing pumps on the drive ports or maybe a Maven and a Minnow together if the Minnow allows for more controlled dosing. Then can add to the Hydros side of things for leak detectors, fluid level monitoring, whatever. No reason the two can’t co-exist and if I really like Hydros better over time the rest can be phased out on my time table.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ABC reagents is listed on coralvue site now... lol.

I think we can assume its obviously for Maven.

abc.JPG

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what I have been thinking. I’m heavily invested in Apex (2016 unit with an extra eb832 and two Sky’s) but don’t yet have a Trident or a DOS. I would run the Maven for testing with their dosing pumps on the drive ports or maybe a Maven and a Minnow together if the Minnow allows for more controlled dosing. Then can add to the Hydros side of things for leak detectors, fluid level monitoring, whatever. No reason the two can’t co-exist and if I really like Hydros better over time the rest can be phased out on my time table.
im of the same mindset, I already have a couple hydros devices and like them so far.
only thing I wish they offered is ethernet connection.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see myself running anything other than GHL for my main controller. Mainly due to thier powerbar, don't think there is a better one out there. But I would consider adding the Maven for testing and redundancy. Assuming it's reliable and the cost, including reagents, isn't too crazy.

lpramos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see myself running anything other than GHL for my main controller. Mainly due to thier powerbar, don't think there is a better one out there. But I would consider adding the Maven for testing and redundancy. Assuming it's reliable and the cost, including reagents, isn't too crazy.
Agreed. The GHL hardware is bulletproof, once you figure out how to set it up properly.

I have 3 GHL dosers. They are very precise and reliable, if you maintain them well. Any chance the Maven can run the GHL dosers somehow?

yury88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. The GHL hardware is bulletproof, once you figure out how to set it up properly.

I have 3 GHL dosers. They are very precise and reliable, if you maintain them well. Any chance the Maven can run the GHL dosers somehow?
GHL same with Apex, zero innovation for years... :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
And dosers worth a special mention- heads are horrible. The worst in the entire market...
Never come back to GHL...

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The GHL cannot be directly controlled by the Maven but the Hydros simple doser can. It is a fix 43ml per minute flow rate and on the Hydros it has to run at least 2.5 seconds each runtime. So as long as you have a minimum does above 2.5 seconds there is no issue. I have had one for over 2 years now without having any issues. I use it as an ATO pump and it has to pump the water up through the attic from the garage to the tank over 35ft away. It is made by Kamoer. If you need smaller doses they have a 2ml a minute pump but it is AC powered so you would need a XP8 to add to the maven and create a collective with the two to use them, but that is not hard to do and only requires a command bus cable and a couple of terminators. I would not trust dosing on wifi power strips which you can pair to the Maven but the way they work if communication is interrupted and the outlet is on or off it will stay in that state until communication is restored. I would be afraid it would loose communication during a dose and stay that way until the drain the entire reservoir with my luck. Since the XP8 is hardwired communication and is a controller itself it can be setup to default to off if communication is lost. The XP8 just happens to only have the 8 AC outputs as ports so for input control it would have to be in a collective with a controller that has the inputs needed like the Maven. So there are other options for dosing control with the Maven.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use it stand alone. I slowly converted to Hydros from the Archon starting over 3 years ago. To begin with I was passing signals between them using relays. The inputs on the Hydros were sense ports where I would connect the switch inputs to the analog input on the sense port. I used switch inputs on the Archon. It would depend on the relay what output I used to drive them. So there can be simple signals sent between the two controllers if needed. If you want to use the test readings for dynamic dosing you can use the two drive ports to run a couple of simple dosers as long as you are dosing a large enough amount each dose. For smaller doses Hydros has a 2ml per minute dosing pump but it is AC powered but you could add a XP8 to the Maven and create a collective and you would have 8 AC outlets you can control with the test results. Creating a collective requires a bus cable to connect between controllers and a minimum of 1 terminator but 2 is better and will be needed for larger collectives. The terminator is a resistor that is needed to allow communication between the controllers on the command bus which is a CAN type bus system. They also have wifi power strips and outlets but those require wifi communication between the controller and the power strips to be commanded on r off so if communications is lost the outlets will remain in whatever state they are in until communication is restored. For that reason I do not recommend using them for dosing, ATO or AWC purposes.
Oh, I figured as much. I say switch over because I’m tired of having to reboot Apex or unplug modules. When lighting and ATO and pump schedules stop working every time I travel, it’s more than annoying: it’s failing the primary function. I’ve also been planning a reset of my tank along with some new plumbing updates. It makes sense for me to plan it all together even if implementation may be phased to reduce trauma.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could this be the price?!

1713235548411.png

That's about $540 USD...

If so, I'll be a new customer for sure. I can't wait to see it at Reefapalooza NYC.
Unlikely. Too low. Same thing from the same site has been posted ? 5 times. It is just a guess at price, or intentional clickbait.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could this be the price?!

That's about $540 USD...

If so, I'll be a new customer for sure. I can't wait to see it at Reefapalooza NYC.

@n2585722
LOLOL... u were pretty spot on in that trident thread on the price....
Even tho you did say you ment for it to be the trident price..

If its 540 dollars... there is no way in hell i am getting the new trident.
I will just pick up a MAVEN, have a extra fallback on ALK CA MG tester to compare with, along with PO4 and NO3 added.

I highly doubt the new trident will cost any less then that, and the fact MAVEN is stand alone unit, its pretty much sold for me.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back