Introducing the Hydros Maven

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ This...

If they gave me a incentive to move, i would do also.
But i understand now why people say that Apex bubble is hard to pop.

I have too much invested in Apex... i have 2 DoS + DDR's + Trident + Apex Pro + a whole cache of FMD's.

I would need a significant advantage / reason to go over to coralvue.
I move from the Archon to the Hydros system but it was over quite a bit of time. I think I started about 3.5 years ago and got a X4 starter kit to begin with. The main reason was the 0-10v inputs. I had plans on using three of those to monitor the level in my three tanks at my mixing station in the garage. So my first few Hydros items were all in the garage. I was able to pass simple signals between the Archon and Hydros. The first 2 things I used the Hydros for other than the water level sensors was ATO and AWC. I used 2 signals from my Archon to my Hydros one was a replacement to a water level sensor in the sump. The Archon would send a dry signal if the Archon sensor was low and the return and skimmer was running and there were no leaks detected. So that signal as far as the Hydros was concerned was a liquid level sensor in the sump. The other signal was similar in it was a ok to do a water change signal. The Hydros had the schedule and would do it when schedule if it had a ok signal from the Archon. I slowly added to the Hydros at first only in the garage so it eventually had full control of the mixing station and RODI in the garage. At that time I was up to 4 controllers. After that I added it to the tank also. I am now up to 14 of the controllers but a controller is a module with a brain so it can be used by itself or with others to make a larger control system. So it is still modular it doesn't have a main brain. It is distributed amongst all the modules.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit...

• Each kit has at least 240 alkalinity tests and 120 tests each of Calcium and Magnesium. Can be used instead of the Neptune Systems Trident Reagent Kit.
All for 59.00 dollars.

Found the exact number...

If we are talking about the Trident the reagent brand doesn't dictate the number of tests. The testing schedule used does. The clone reagents use the same Neptune Reagent bottle.

The default minimum is 4 (alk), 2 (Ca), 2(Mg).

There is a "non-supported" way to reduce that if you so desire. Just know up front that it could affect the results and hardware.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer on the price. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, if you can make a 3 parameter trident and sell it for $675 I don’t see why a 5 parameter unit would need to be over $1k. Yes it tests more parameters but in terms of hardware cost it shouldn’t cost much more to add two parameters to a three parameter unit. I probably would have gone with the maven if it was under 1K but now I can’t justify the price versus just getting the Neptune unit since I’m already in that ecosystem. The Trident is basically priced such that it is only a valid option for those already in that ecosystem, and the maven is essentially priced such that it is only a valid option to those not already in the Apex ecosystem. If they had dropped the price by two or $300 I think they could’ve pulled some Neptune customers over.
I’m a Neptune user but I will cross over for the Maven if it gets good reviews and proves to be reliable. I like my 2016 Apex and I also have two of the Skys but I don’t have any other Neptune modules or equipment. Going with a Maven wouldn’t be a big deal for me at all and I kind of like having the testing and control of dosing through the drive ports or a Minnow if my Apex head unit ever crashed. I think for a lot of people the two can coexist and provide benefits. I like the form factor of the Maven better as well. I don’t want to find space for two different Trident units in my stand. Also, if I have both systems it gives me choices on future equipment Maybe I want to run the Hydros ATO or go with the Neptune ATO, or stay with my Tunze. I have choices at that point that I wouldn’t have if all my eggs are in the Neptune basket. I just don’t think this has to be an either/or situation if you don’t already have a Trident.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we are talking about the Trident the reagent brand doesn't dictate the number of tests. The testing schedule used does. The clone reagents use the same Neptune Reagent bottle.

The default minimum is 4 (alk), 2 (Ca), 2(Mg).

There is a "non-supported" way to reduce that if you so desire. Just know up front that it could affect the results and hardware.
I was asking the number of test per bottle of reagent and not number of test per day. That is cheaper than the Hanna tester per test then.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a Neptune user but I will cross over for the Maven if it gets good reviews and proves to be reliable. I like my 2016 Apex and I also have two of the Skys but I don’t have any other Neptune modules or equipment. Going with a Maven wouldn’t be a big deal for me at all and I kind of like having the testing and control of dosing through the drive ports or a Minnow if my Apex head unit ever crashed. I think for a lot of people the two can coexist and provide benefits. I like the form factor of the Maven better as well. I don’t want to find space for two different Trident units in my stand. Also, if I have both systems it gives me choices on future equipment Maybe I want to run the Hydros ATO or go with the Neptune ATO, or stay with my Tunze. I have choices at that point that I wouldn’t have if all my eggs are in the Neptune basket. I just don’t think this has to be an either/or situation if you don’t already have a Trident.
I converted from the Archon and it took over 3 years and I used to send simple signal back and forth using relays. The first things I did on the Hydros was ATO and AWC but all the inputs sensors to do that was on the Archon. If you like your Tunze ATO you can use a outlet on the Hydros as a backup to power it down if the water level gets too high. That would require a water level sensor and a open sense port for it. Since it is a backup you can use a wifi strip for a AC output but a better one would be a XP8 or Launch output.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was asking the number of test per bottle of reagent and not number of test per day. That is cheaper than the Hanna tester per test then.

I probably read the post wrong then, sorry. Trident reagent bottles are set size and the estimated tests 240/120/120 per bottle is correct. Of course that number will vary based on the hobbyist chemistry levels but for fuzzy math you are correct.

Again sorry - misread.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably read the post wrong then, sorry. Trident reagent bottles are set size and the estimated tests 240/120/120 per bottle is correct. Of course that number will vary based on the hobbyist chemistry levels but for fuzzy math you are correct.

Again sorry - misread.
For a 100 test of alkalinity, calcium and magnesium on the Hanna testers it would cost $248 so it is quite a bit higher than the ABC since that is $59 for more test than the Hanna.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ This...

If they gave me a incentive to move, i would do also.
But i understand now why people say that Apex bubble is hard to pop.

I have too much invested in Apex... i have 2 DoS + DDR's + Trident + Apex Pro + a whole cache of FMD's.

I would need a significant advantage / reason to go over to coralvue.
But the thing is, with the Maven you don’t need to move over your whole ecosystem because it’s stand alone. You can literally just leave the whole apex ecosystem in place and just run the maven. And if you want to slowly move things over you can one piece/module at a time… or not, because it’s not like you need to invest in the whole ecosystem or multiple pieces of hardware to run the Maven.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The $1200 price point isn't awful IMO. Its essentially the same as both of the Tridents together but the Maven does more.

BUT I think they would have tripled their sales if they did $999.
This, so..... This. Under 1k, they could o gladly took my money and I would of retired an ancient Apex classic and really stepped into hydros.

I played with an X4 starter pack back in late 2020, and it wasn't quite ready for primetime back then, from my experience. It sounds like the product has a bit more polish and I really want to try it again.

The kraken ALMOST made me trigger for it, until I saw the price, and the Maven did me in again (predicted price). I'll reserve final judgement for when it's truly for sale, but 1,200 cash for the maven is gonna turn a few others off to it like myself. I want to try something else besides Neptune sooooo bad and GHL isn't it for me (multitude of reasons). Come on Coralvue, price this bad boy for the people, lol.

Spizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7292.jpeg

Multi-parameter automatic testing has arrived. Test
  • Alkalinity (dKH)
  • Nitrate (NO3)
  • Phosphate (PO4)
  • Calcium (Ca)
  • Magnesium (Mg)

Check it out!

Hydros Maven
Will this ever be available to buy in the UK ??

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More to note,
- there is a magnetic stirrer accessible outside the unit for cleaning
- there will be $40 replacement parts for the internal pumps which can be self serviced
- the pumps air clean the tubes after every test, both the in and out lines
- reagent lines are about 3 feet and they are looking at cable management options, you cannot cut or modify those lines
- the lack of a salinity tester is for cost
Some more things to report.

Please note that anything said is always subject to change until it’s marketed appropriately.

- They are adamant about getting this right. The product is “ready” but is being tuned across the board. Set your expectations for a holiday/Black Friday release timeline.
- There are “many” things in the works. This includes, but not limited to a proper water changing DOSer — aka not Kamoer and a proper Apex DOSer competitor.

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, if Hydros continues to play its cards correctly, I dont see why a new system would opt for Apex over Hydros given the hardware quality, the cost, redundancy, and even the company and owners personal values. Even talking to the Neptune booth at Reefapalooza - my interactions with the reps with my Q&As on the new show floor Trident + DOSer oozed a combination of entitlement and ignorance on what customers want.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more things to report.

Thanks - assuming you are at the show. If so hope it is going well and the weather is nice.

- There are “many” things in the works. This includes, but not limited to a proper water changing DOSer — aka not Kamoer and a proper Apex DOSer competitor.

I don't understand this part about "proper" water changing. Maybe they mean a different way? Did they, or could you, elaborate more on what proper means? Only reason why I'm asking as a DOS user an auto water change can be any number of gallons and scheduled over time. Auto or virtual outlet. I can turn off dosing additives, ATO, etc. Pretty sure the Hydros can do something similar is why I'm asking.

New ways of doing things is interesting so what they mean.

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - assuming you are at the show. If so hope it is going well and the weather is nice.

I don't understand this part about "proper" water changing. Maybe they mean a different way? Did they, or could you, elaborate more on what proper means? Only reason why I'm asking as a DOS user an auto water change can be any number of gallons and scheduled over time. Auto or virtual outlet. I can turn off dosing additives, ATO, etc. Pretty sure the Hydros can do something similar is why I'm asking.

Ah, yeah I may have misworded that a bit. The X10 and other controller have built in DOSers that can be used for water changes, but they’re not really made to take on the volume for larger tanks or larger water changes.

TLDR; they’re looking at remedying this gap with a proper DOSer providing higher volume movement and 1st class integration. Aka an Apex DOSer competitor.

For people like myself who have 1/4th rigid tubing running from different parts of the house to my system and do not want in water pumps pulling water, this is huge. Yes there are other systems that can be used, but they all have their own limitations.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, yeah I may have misworded that a bit. The X10 and other controller have built in DOSers that can be used for water changes, but they’re not really made to take on the volume for larger tanks or larger water changes.

TLDR; they’re looking at remedying this gap with a proper DOSer providing higher volume movement and 1st class integration. Aka an Apex DOSer competitor.

For people like myself who have 1/4th rigid tubing running from different parts of the house to my system and do not want in water pumps pulling water, this is huge. Yes there are other systems that can be used, but they all have their own limitations.

Thanks for the clarity and follow up. I don't know all of the Hydros line so also misunderstood. Appreciate it.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They may be talking about using the smart dosers as they call them for water change. They will not work currently in the auto water change regimen but I have a Minnow that I currently do water changes with and I have a dosing schedule created and have an output setup to halt the ATO output during the water change. I have done up above 4500ml a day with it but currently I have scaled way back due to very low nitrate readings. Below are the fill and drain pump output settings. Those are fairly simple. They are the smart doser type. They are set to 55ml a minute for this use which is the max for these pumps. Since I use these for auto water change I don't use the reservoir level setting.

IMG_0931.png

IMG_0932.png

This is the output used to halt the ATO output when either the fill or drain pump are running.

IMG_0933.png

Below is the schedule used for the water change. Right now it is set to 600ml a day but that is not my normal amount. Right now I have very low nitrate levels so I have the water change scaled way back. It is split into 4 seperate changes that happen after a alkalinity test is done and before dosing is done.

IMG_0934.png

IMG_0935.png

Below is the ATO output that is halted by the output ATO OK listed above. I use a generic output type since I have several inputs that control whether a ATO is done or not. The depends on settings is where the output listed above is used to halt this output. There is a minimum off time setting on this outpit and when using depends on to turn off the output will halt the minimum off time counter until the depends on is released. So any delay between the drain and fill pump will not be able to turn this output on unless it last at least the minimum off time which it does not. Also there is a sensor in the fresh saltwater reservoir that will halt the schedule if it is low using another output and the depends on in the schedule settings. There is enough water after the sensor goes dry to finish one water change so there should be no issues with it running out before the schedule halts.

IMG_0937.png

IMG_0938.png

IMG_0939.png

Attachments

• IMG_0938.png
    IMG_0938.png
    97.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0937.png
    IMG_0937.png
    90.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0935.png
    IMG_0935.png
    83.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0934.png
    IMG_0934.png
    89.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0939.png
    IMG_0939.png
    94.2 KB · Views: 12

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may be talking about using the smart dosers as they call them for water change. They will not work currently in the auto water change regimen but I have a Minnow that I currently do water changes with and I have a dosing schedule created and have an output setup to halt the ATO output during the water change. I have done up above 4500ml a day with it but currently I have scaled way back due to very low nitrate readings. Below are the fill and drain pump output settings. Those are fairly simple. They are the smart doser type. They are set to 55ml a minute for this use which is the max for these pumps. Since I use these for auto water change I don't use the reservoir level setting.

IMG_0931.png

IMG_0932.png

This is the output used to halt the ATO output when either the fill or drain pump are running.

IMG_0933.png

Below is the schedule used for the water change. Right now it is set to 600ml a day but that is not my normal amount. Right now I have very low nitrate levels so I have the water change scaled way back. It is split into 4 seperate changes that happen after a alkalinity test is done and before dosing is done.

IMG_0934.png

IMG_0935.png

Below is the ATO output that is halted by the output ATO OK listed above. I use a generic output type since I have several inputs that control whether a ATO is done or not. The depends on settings is where the output listed above is used to halt this output. There is a minimum off time setting on this outpit and when using depends on to turn off the output will halt the minimum off time counter until the depends on is released. So any delay between the drain and fill pump will not be able to turn this output on unless it last at least the minimum off time which it does not. Also there is a sensor in the fresh saltwater reservoir that will halt the schedule if it is low using another output and the depends on in the schedule settings. There is enough water after the sensor goes dry to finish one water change so there should be no issues with it running out before the schedule halts.

IMG_0937.png

IMG_0938.png

IMG_0939.png

Thank you as well. Appreciate the details and time. :D

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set your expectations for a holiday/Black Friday release timeline.

WOW... so its vapor tease ware until November?

So people saying they pulled this just so they can steal some light from neptune and the Trident NP was totally spot on.

Im sorry, its starting to make me respect coralvue less and less by doing this.

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW... so its vapor tease ware until November?

So people saying they pulled this just so they can steal some light from neptune and the Trident NP was totally spot on.

Im sorry, its starting to make me respect coralvue less and less by doing this.
Nah, it’s 100% not vapor ware and the project is pretty much completed. It was clearly demonstrated to pretty much everyone at the the trade show and it probably can release soon. When you talk to them and realize how small of an operation everything on their side is, it’s clear that they’re focused on doing this right over all else. The reason it even exists in the first place is because of how crappy of a job Neptune has done. I truly believe this is a good cultural value for them to have and keep. These guys are hobbyists, they are not just trying to make a buck.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back