Introducing the Hydros Maven

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember reading about the horrors when people could not source ABC reagents from neptune before ABCreagents came out.

There was a supply issue for a bit but that is somewhat to be expected with new products. We also have to factor in hobbyist exploring testing schedules and the one off manual tests. Everything starts to add up which caused a ripple effect of it being launched overseas.

I am not making an excuse just providing some possible insight or at least "my" opinion. I do not work for them just what I remember from some of the various discussions. If you look today there are no issues trying to find brand reagents.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be honest id probably still buy it at 1199 if the reagents were not under coalvue's tight control.

I remember reading about the horrors when people could not source ABC reagents from neptune before ABCreagents came out.

Its the "Must buy from coralvue" and "under tight control" aspect that has me majorly turned off.
If that comes with enough reagents to do 100 test each that is quite a bit just in reagents. For Hanna a 100 test each of the 5 parameters tested by the Maven would cost $324.75 at BRS. I think I heard that there was enough reagent for 100 test each of the 7.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your running a full sps tank... for me and many others...yes automated testing is more a necessity and not so much a luxury...especially if we have quite a bit invested in sps corals already...a $670 investment for the "average" reefer is doable...but @ $1200...thats a tough pill to swallow....

However..to each his own...

Stepping outside the "me" box for a spell what do you mean by many others and necessity as it relates to automation? What did hobbyist do prior to the Tridents launch in 2018(? I don't remember the exact year, sorry)?

I believe that is why luxury is being noted. Or at least how I used it above. I use test automation and like it but I could turn it off tomorrow with the same results.

Note: I know we all have our own thresholds so understand your comment

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The $1200 price point isn't awful IMO. Its essentially the same as both of the Tridents together but the Maven does more.

BUT I think they would have tripled their sales if they did $999.
You and me are in different tax brackets if you think $1200 isn’t bad. :p
If I added right the Hanna reagents for a 100 test of each of the 5 things being tested with the Maven would run $380 at Bulk Reef Supply. They have not said how much each would be but they did say there would be enough for 100 test of each. Not sure it it would be that much supplied with the Maven when purchased. They also have not said how long the reagents are good for after they are opened. We would need to know how long they last once opened and how much but my guess is it will depend on which one of the test the reagents are do how much since they range from 60-112 with Hanna for 100 test. Hanna comes in 25 test per refill of the reagents so I multiplied their price by 4 to match the Hydros. If the Maven comes with all three reagents for the $1200 price that may also explain why since Hanna would be $380 for that many test just for the reagents. The 5 Hanna testers would cost 324.75 if you don't have then already and the if they come with enough reagents for 25 test you would have to add another $285 to the 324.75 to compare new to new. So the Hannas would be about half the price but they would be you doing 500 test manually. Not sure how valuable you time is but that is a lot of time that you would be doing testing that you could be doing something else. So it is just a matter if you want regular test you best option mY be so kind of auto testing but it will cost more in actual dollars but will save you quite a bit of time. If you are already invested in another auto test system and have no other reasons for switching then you would not want to switch from what you have.
Im not CV Hydros customer I guess.

I only use nitrate, Phosphate and alk. The rest are a waste of time. So Salifert for cal and mag.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that comes with enough reagents to do 100 test each that is quite a bit just in reagents. For Hanna a 100 test each of the 5 parameters tested by the Maven would cost $324.75 at BRS. I think I heard that there was enough reagent for 100 test each of the 7.

but compare that to a trident with abcreagents which costs $59.00 (6 months supply) for Approx: 600xalk 300xMg 300xCa. (assuming each bottle is 100 tests)

Im sorry its not helping coralvue when you factor in that.

This is why i can't get rid of my trident, as much as i want to.
The testing per cost is extremely difficult to beat, which a lot of people factor when buying auto testers.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but compare that to a trident with abcreagents which costs $59.00 (6 months supply) for Approx: 600xalk 300xMg 300xCa. (assuming each bottle is 100 tests)

The testing per cost is extremely difficult to beat, which a lot of people factor when buying auto testers.
Yeah i think im looking into one now. Seeing neptune is not changing the design of the trident i may try one.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was quoting prices for Hanna reagent for 100 test which is what the reagents supplied by CoralVue are supposed to do. We have no prices yet on the CoralVue reagent but if it is like Hanna it will depend on which one it is. With Hanna it is as low as $60 per 100 (alkalinity) test to $112 per 100 (Calcuim) test. On Hanna the calcium and magnesium are seperate test with the Maven both are done in the same test. The price for both test per 100 on the Hanna would be $172. Since we do not know the cost of the different reagents yet for the Maven there is no way to know if they are competitive with others. Whith Hanna it cost $1.72 to test calcium and magnesium each test just for the reagent. That does not count your time it takes to do the test. The alkalinity test for the Hanna is a little cheaper at $0.60 a test for the reagent. Currently since I test those once a week it cost me about $3.80 in reagent to do those test plus about 2 hours of my time.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
to be honest id probably still buy it at 1199 if the reagents were not under coalvue's tight control.

Its the "Must buy from coralvue" and "under tight control" aspect that has me majorly turned off.

Yes that is a major turnoff for me. ABC reagents confirmed to me that they wouldn’t work in the Maven.

I only use nitrate, Phosphate and alk. The rest are a waste of time. So Salifert for cal and mag.

Likely true. But I own a business so that’s why. I’m far from rich lol. I just don’t have a problem spending on this hobby. It’s my peace.

That said I can’t justify this purchase. I’ve tried lol

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I plan on using calcium to dynamically dose my All For Reef when I get a Maven and get those results. I also want to try dynamically doing my water changes based on my nitrate values from the Maven. I already use the alkalinity readings from my iV for dosing a KH buffer and a minor change to the All For Reef with the alkalinity value. If you are changing dosages dynamically you will need some kind of auto testing for that.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was quoting prices for Hanna reagent for 100 test which is what the reagents supplied by CoralVue are supposed to do. We have no prices yet on the CoralVue reagent but if it is like Hanna it will depend on which one it is. With Hanna it is as low as $60 per 100 (alkalinity) test to $112 per 100 (Calcuim) test. On Hanna the calcium and magnesium are seperate test with the Maven both are done in the same test. The price for both test per 100 on the Hanna would be $172. Since we do not know the cost of the different reagents yet for the Maven there is no way to know if they are competitive with others. Whith Hanna it cost $1.72 to test calcium and magnesium each test just for the reagent. That does not count your time it takes to do the test. The alkalinity test for the Hanna is a little cheaper at $0.60 a test for the reagent. Currently since I test those once a week it cost me about $3.80 in reagent to do those test plus about 2 hours of my time.

Yeah, but i don't use the Hanna for Alk + Ca + Mg unless something is grossly wrong with my Trident messurement.

Im sure like 1/2 the people in this thread also own a Trident, and was hoping this would replace it, because we just want the comfort of having NO3 + PO4.

Were basicially shopping on is the new Trident NP worth getting, or should we just get a MAVEN.

And Coralvue is not making that move / choice easy for us, as im sure most of us don't see the value in getting a MAVEN over having our Trident + Hanna for NO3 + PO4.

But don't get me wrong, if your new to the controller market, and do not have a 1000 dollar apex pro or a hydros X10, im sure the MAVEN maybe still a good value.

But im pretty sure coralvue will milk you for every last cent you have on reagents, because who doesn't love the Gillette Model in corporate?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is a major turnoff for me. ABC reagents confirmed to me that they wouldn’t work in the Maven.

Likely true. But I own a business so that’s why. I’m far from rich lol. I just don’t have a problem spending on this hobby. It’s my peace.

That said I can’t justify this purchase. I’ve tried lol
You never know where CoralVue is getting the reagents. Isn't CoralVue a distributer for ABC Reagents?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on using calcium to dynamically dose my All For Reef when I get a Maven and get those results.

As an AFR user with large SPS colonies I do not see the need to do any form of assisted dosing. It is stable. Granted all systems are different but I've personally not seen the need to do so. I did when I was using ESV 2 part though.

Are you changing your daily dose?

saltcreep74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stepping outside the "me" box for a spell what do you mean by many others and necessity as it relates to automation? What did hobbyist do prior to the Tridents launch in 2018(? I don't remember the exact year, sorry)?

I believe that is why luxury is being noted. Or at least how I used it above. I use test automation and like it but I could turn it off tomorrow with the same results.

Note: I know we all have our own thresholds so understand your comment
From my perspective...at any given time i can log on to my apex if im away to check my perameters and/or get alerts when somethings off and take immediate action...manuel testing....youll have to wait till you physically notice any changes then test...if you already have a substantial amount invested in corals...$ 670 can easily be justified...your right..not a necessity...but more peace of mind

If i had $1200 to spend on maven...yeah i provably would..but im no big baller like allot of guys on here..thats why i used the term "average reefer"...but again to each his own...

if they dropped the price to $800...I'd buy it..selloff my Trident than probably migrate slowly to the Hydros Launch...then the Kraken..selling off my Apex A3 of course...

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if they dropped the price to $800...I'd buy it..selloff my Trident than probably migrate slowly to the Hydros Launch...then the Kraken..selling off my Apex A3 of course...

^ This...

If they gave me a incentive to move, i would do also.
But i understand now why people say that Apex bubble is hard to pop.

I have too much invested in Apex... i have 2 DoS + DDR's + Trident + Apex Pro + a whole cache of FMD's.

I would need a significant advantage / reason to go over to coralvue.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You never know where CoralVue is getting the reagents. Isn't CoralVue a distributer for ABC Reagents?

They are. But they are not using the ABC reagents that we use with Trident. Jonas actually hadn’t even heard of the Hydros IV or Maven when I asked.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a hobby. Everything about it is a luxury. Some people spend more than this on an OMG Holy Moly Guacamole Torch, and then it dies a month later. Decide on your budget and then spend on what you like; you don't need to justify to someone else as long as you are within your budget. If you are heavy into Apex, Maven probably doesn't make sense. If you use Hydros and want automated testing, this seems really promising. The biggest question for me is reliability of the hardware and accuracy of the results. If it is a good piece of kit, maybe I will save up and buy it. Everyone benefits from having more options/competition for Apex Trident.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my perspective...at any given time i can log on to my apex if im away to check my perameters and/or get alerts when somethings off and take immediate action...manuel testing....youll have to wait till you physically notice any changes then test...if you already have a substantial amount invested in corals...$ 670 can easily be justified...your right..not a necessity...but more peace of mind

So more of the monitoring anywhere sort of thing. I can see the reason behind that. Pre Trident or other automation tools we still had to assess daily and manual test and still had amazing tanks.

I hear you though.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are. But they are not using the ABC reagents that we use with Trident. Jonas actually hadn’t even heard of the Hydros IV or Maven when I asked.
I think the Maven reagent will be more along the lines of Hanna since both use light to determine the reading of the thing being tested. I am not sure how Trident does it since I have never seen one or messed with one. I have an iV and a KH Carer but those are alkalinity only but that is the only thing I test more than once a week. The Reagent for the iV is inexpensive so it does give you the ability to test several times a day.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Maven reagent will be more along the lines of Hanna since both use light to determine the reading of the thing being tested. I am not sure how Trident does it since I have never seen one or messed with one. I have an iV and a KH Carer but those are alkalinity only but that is the only thing I test more than once a week. The Reagent for the iV is inexpensive so it does give you the ability to test several times a day.

The trident has 3 reagents hence the ABC... i believe its also a photo colorometer.
It has one stepper motor, and like 6 mechanical pinchers or something like that, so that one stepper motor does most of the leg work.

And its not because the reagents are cheap, because if you buy the real neptune stuff, its actually expensive, but its when you buy the aftermarket stuff.
That is where the cost savings comes drastically into play.

109.99 vs 59.00 - Neptune OEM vs Generic this is why a lot of us are keeping our trident.

I don't even think Reefbot using 3rd party reagents can come close to that cost difference per testing.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trident has 3 reagents hence the ABC... i believe its also a photo colorometer.
It has one stepper motor, and like 6 mechanical pinchers or something like that, so that one stepper motor does most of the leg work.

And its not because the reagents are cheap, because if you buy the real neptune stuff, its actually expensive, but its when you buy the aftermarket stuff.
That is where the cost savings comes drastically into play.

109.99 vs 59.00 - Neptune OEM vs Generic this is why a lot of us are keeping our trident.

I don't even think Reefbot using 3rd party reagents can come close to that cost difference per testing.
How many test can you do for that. From what I have heard the Maven has one stepper pump 7 pinch valves and a air pump. The air pump is used to agitate the reagent before use and the sample being tested. It is also used to clear the lines and the cuvette for testing. So I think that all lines are cleared after testing with the air pump. So they do sound familiar. My guess is we are a few months away before thr official release of the Maven. So they will be releasing more info as time goes on. I think there is also 7 reagents used by the Maven. Since I have not see a Maven personally yet I am going off of what I have heard and see in photos or videos like everyone else.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back