Coralvue y u do dis?!

magicstix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought an Icecap Algae scrubber, which of course doesn't come with a pump. So to feed it I also got an Icecap Evo1000.

Now, one would think that an Icecap pump and and Icecap scrubber would go great together. Same brand, same manufacturer, etc, flow rates even match up perfectly...

NOPE.

Turns out the ATS is in metric, and takes a 16mm ID tube, or 5/8 inch. The pump takes a 1/2 inch tube or a 3/4 inch tube, but not a 5/8! apparently that 1/8 of an inch is just enough to make the hose too loose.

I've tried several different hose clamps to no avail. They're either too big or too small to get the tube tight on the barb.

Is there a solution here, or do I need to get a 5/8" to 1/2" reducer barb and go with two tubes with different IDs? Does Icecap make a 5/8 inch hose connector for their Evo pumps?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

OP
OP
magicstix

magicstix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up biting the bullet and buying a 5/8 to 4/8 adapter and some more tube. It looks silly, but it works.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time you need a custom pvc adaptor, use a heat gun and it softens the plastic and you can enlarge small couplers so that they work pefectly. also would work on most hoses. I will stick a long socket in the hot hose or pvc until cools, then you have the perfect size you need. 1/8 inch is easy

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time you need a custom pvc adaptor, use a heat gun and it softens the plastic and you can enlarge small couplers so that they work pefectly. also would work on most hoses. I will stick a long socket in the hot hose or pvc until cools, then you have the perfect size you need. 1/8 inch is easy
I have done this in the past when I was working on a few different builds for friends. I learned this way back in my race car days when I would need to fit jumper hoses for air-to-water intercoolers. works like a charm!

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This also can work on threaded fittings when going from metric to standard. Heat the female end and then thread the male end while still pliable.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back