Core7 Base elements Bulk Edition ... component 1 carton contained as almost a solid brick?!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DancingWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I think component 1 carton got some moisture because all the "powder" turned into a brick. Managed to crush and dissolve it in RODI (some pieces were a solid crystal). Unlike other cartons/bag there was no exothermic or endothermic reaction when it dissolved. Other jugs became warm, especially component 2 - that one became really hot to touch. I put it in a bucket of water because I was scared it might burst ... you should warn about those things. If I poured and left it with a tightly screwed cap who knows what would have happened.
Anyway about carton nr1 condition - is it normal? Is solution usable? While there were no obvious water damage to any of the packaging like musshynes or wrinkles of paper when it gets wet, but nr1 carton did felt like it was covered in oil - not very pleasant to touch.
Picture time:
When I opened carton - surprise! (well not really when I was taking carton out of the box I suspected this was the case)
IMG_1952.jpg
Finally managed to pull everything out into a bowl for further crushing - that is not powder it's big oily crystals, not showing well but big crust liek piece on the left was fused into a solid crystal - very hard to crush into manageable pieces
IMG_1953.jpg
:) needed to destroy packaging to get the brick out.
IMG_1954.jpg

Last edited:

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats insane.
Yes I would wonder if useable myself.
All the Core 7 products I have purchased a d have on the shelf, one and two have always been in liquid form.
3a and 3b powder.
It may have changed as it has been almost a year since I have ordered.
But thats not normal in my book. I suspect the liquid may have only breached the inner foil and was absorbed by the outer layers?
Slowly evaporating the water over time and not an actual leak.

OP
OP
DancingWind

DancingWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats insane.
Yes I would wonder if useable myself.
All the Core 7 products I have purchased a d have on the shelf, one and two have always been in liquid form.
3a and 3b powder.
It may have changed as it has been almost a year since I have ordered.
But thats not normal in my book. I suspect the liquid may have only breached the inner foil and was absorbed by the outer layers?
Slowly evaporating the water over time and not an actual leak.
As I understand 4x4 bulk edition is all powder (+ little 100ml liquid additives bottle to add into component 1)

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes maybe so now.
Because the product was never in stock way back when.
I placed three very large orders to last me well over a year.
That was before I even started my tank.
My system is still small so I am using less than anticipated so my stockpile is still solid, and will probably be another year before I need to buy more.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the end I hope someone from Triton will chime in and give you some sound advice.
I would recomend an email direct to Triton.
I have had quick responses directly from them.

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not common but it has happened in the past and is related to the conditions the products are exposed to (eg temperature and pressure) after they leave our factory in Germany.

Ehsan said that the solid crystals are very soluble and should have broken down very quickly as soon as they were added to water. The oiliness was super saturated water as the powder is still hydrated and the water tends to move to the outer areas during transport.

I know that we have already sent this to you via email but posted here for others that may benefit from this information.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I am kinda denser than most.
The product is still good, and one just needs to add water.

So my question is, if this is was hydrated from the factory, and now its not does that change the amount of water used to when mixing?
Or should we mix based on the instructions?
My gut says follow as directed as the evaporation is to small to make a difference.

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I am kinda denser than most.
The product is still good, and one just needs to add water.

So my question is, if this is was hydrated from the factory, and now its not does that change the amount of water used to when mixing?
Or should we mix based on the instructions?
My gut says follow as directed as the evaporation is to small to make a difference.
It is not so much that evaporation has occurred, more that the water moves and concentrates in certain areas inside the container.
In cases where this happens you are still able to mix based on the instructions.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back