Coris Wrasse QT method

EdBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is going to be the safest way to QT a new Coris Wrasse prior to putting it in the DT? I’ve read that they can be sensitive to copper, so what’s the alternative?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is going to be the safest way to QT a new Coris Wrasse prior to putting it in the DT? I’ve read that they can be sensitive to copper, so what’s the alternative?
They are not overtly sensitive to amine chelated copper like coppersafe or copper power. You can dose those at 2.25 ppm for 30 days and follow that with a course of prazi.

OP
OP
EdBar

EdBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not overtly sensitive to amine chelated copper like coppersafe or copper power. You can dose those at 2.25 ppm for 30 days and follow that with a course of prazi.

Thanks Jay, do I need to remove copper before adding prazi?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay, do I need to remove copper before adding prazi?

I generally reduce the copper to about half with a 50% water change and then start the prazi treatment.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Halichoeres leucoxanthus in QT and while its not a Coris, its close. He's coming to the end of Copper Power with no problems then I plan on Prazi as Jay recommends. I was worried about not having sand in the QT, especially since he was sleeping in the sand at the LFS, but he seems to be doing well.

Just a little anecdotal evidence to go along with Jay's scientific recommendation.

OP
OP
EdBar

EdBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Halichoeres leucoxanthus in QT and while its not a Coris, its close. He's coming to the end of Copper Power with no problems then I plan on Prazi as Jay recommends. I was worried about not having sand in the QT, especially since he was sleeping in the sand at the LFS, but he seems to be doing well.

Just a little anecdotal evidence to go along with Jay's scientific recommendation.
Thanks, I plan on putting a dish with some caribsea sand I use in my FW tanks in the qt with my Coris to alleviate stress. The sand is ph neutral so shouldn’t affect anything.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure Jay and comment better to this but I believe silica sand is better for QT with meds as it doesn't absorb the meds like Calcium sand. Of course, the caribsea may be silica. I also remember reading that a bowel of calcium sand won't affect it too much.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 86 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back