CORRALINE ALGAE, FRIEND OR FOE?

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had a problem growing Coralline Algae and actually felt good about it when it did grow.
Lately I’ve been rethinking this and looking at Coralline as more of a nuisance than anything else.
I mean it does look nice on the rocks but I’m seeing it compete and actually winning over slow growing SPS.
More and more I’m having to get in there and chisel away at the purple stuff in an effort to salvage a frag which hasn’t decided to take off.
What’s been your experience?
IMG_4081.jpeg

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed!
I just scraped some off the back glass of my tank and I actually saw Alkalinity go up slightly.
Just left what’s on the rocks, floor and overflow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 36

certain_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it can consume your nutrients I generally like having it around as a sign of good tank health and maturity. While it may be easier to grow than most coral, it's still a great sign of good things. I scrape it from the viewable tank glass regularly and from the back once a month. I am still debating if I want to let it grow out on my bottom glass.

I've never seen it out-complete SPS or other coral growth though. If it is then I'd chip away are just the areas where you want your SPS to grow in and keep an eye on it. If that is the case it could actually be a decent way of controlling your growth and growth direction which is sort of a nice thing in my book even if it means some additional upkeep.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it can consume your nutrients I generally like having it around as a sign of good tank health and maturity. While it may be easier to grow than most coral, it's still a great sign of good things. I scrape it from the viewable tank glass regularly and from the back once a month. I am still debating if I want to let it grow out on my bottom glass.

I've never seen it out-complete SPS or other coral growth though. If it is then I'd chip away are just the areas where you want your SPS to grow in and keep an eye on it. If that is the case it could actually be a decent way of controlling your growth and growth direction which is sort of a nice thing in my book even if it means some additional upkeep.
I’m seeing your logic and can almost agree with it but I really don’t want algae overgrowing my acros.
LOL

certain_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m seeing your logic and can almost agree with it but I really don’t want algae overgrowing my acros.
LOL

Oh, no doubt, if it is killing your acros thats a problem. IME I have only seen it grow up to the edge and maybe prevent new growth but never have I see it actively kill off existing growth. But then again everyone has different tanks so it really just depends in the end what you are experiencing and how much time you want to spend taking care of that sort of thing.

Ashwinclement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah my tuxedos go after coralline, they cleaned my rock and glass and my wave pumps are also relatively free from coralline now. Before, I have to dip them in citric acid once in two months to get rid of coralline growth, now its been several months and I barely see coralline cover on the wave pumps. just small spots. Its an established tank 2.5 years so not really worried about nuisance algae or potential benefits or coralline.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say do whatever you feel comfortable with. I don't suspect they are likely to carry ich tomonts, but I'm sure its possible. Unless you are committed to a full fallow term there is always some risk, and even then??

I have had some trouble getting urchins to make the transition to my tank, I'd say quick introduction to a stable display with a variety of foods available could have some advantage.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO I went to the LFS, and came back with a huge bottle of Oysterfest, we all know that Oysterfest is the magic syrup that makes acros turn the colors of the rainbow and grow out of the tank. I believe it. I heard it on Youtube . Bought the biggest bottle they had.
Oh yeah, no Urchin, my wife didn't like the they had.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 24.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back