Corraline or Cayno?

Zachary S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I was just wondering if this purple spots were corraline growing on my rocks, or maybe it’s caynobactria?? My tank is about a month and a half old so ignore the green algae please, still trying to work out the lighting schedule. Also was wondering what these small blackish dots were? Any ideas?

I recently put in a coral, whose base has a ton of corraline as well as some snails with corraline.

8FD00AC2-BC69-4F40-B569-9787D4C4948A.jpeg E6EA48F0-10ED-4A8D-869E-7FFB0DAE40D0.jpeg 76DAF692-261A-4AEE-A892-2F3E01D6EBFA.jpeg

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it blow off with a turkey baster? If so, it’s not coralline yet.

Pinback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's hard to tell. Can you blast it off with a turkey blaster? Guessing by the age of tank, the dark is not Coraline. The bright green might be though. Mine Was bright green and a few months later it turned purple. I had to increase my calcium to get the Coraline to really take off. Dark spots look to me to be green hair algea starting.

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a new tank. You’re likely going to get cyano, GHA, diatoms, dyno or a combination of all the above. Let it run its course. Don’t try to fix problems with chemicals or mechanical filtration until later on. Whether it’s cyano or coraline, you’ll eventually have both. You sound like me when I first started. Analyzing every shade of the rainbow wondering what it could turn into. Remember, everything bad happens overnight. It takes forever for the good to start happening.

OP
OP
Z

Zachary S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a new tank. You’re likely going to get cyano, GHA, diatoms, dyno or a combination of all the above. Let it run its course. Don’t try to fix problems with chemicals or mechanical filtration until later on. Whether it’s cyano or coraline, you’ll eventually have both. You sound like me when I first started. Analyzing every shade of the rainbow wondering what it could turn into. Remember, everything bad happens overnight. It takes forever for the good to start happening.
Thanks for the reply! I have watched many videos and I know that I shouldn’t try fixing things with chemicals early on. I have already had diatoms but my clean up crew took care most of it.

OP
OP
Z

Zachary S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's hard to tell. Can you blast it off with a turkey blaster? Guessing by the age of tank, the dark is not Coraline. The bright green might be though. Mine Was bright green and a few months later it turned purple. I had to increase my calcium to get the Coraline to really take off. Dark spots look to me to be green hair algea starting.
Woah I always wondered what the bright green spots were!! Also is the hair algae good? I have a grazer in my tank. (Flame angel)

Back