Correct way to feed and keep everyone happy

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As my tank matures more im trying to get better at feeding my tank. I only have two clowns and a 6 lined wrasse with a fire shrimp and a small cleanup crew (i introduced my wrasse 1 year after my fire shrimp and things have been going well for a couple months)(79 gallon total system). Im now starting to introduce coral into my tank. Only a couple frags, ive done research, but it just isnt clear to me how to progress. I usually feed once a day, some flakes or frozen myso shrimp, not a lot at all though. Theres rarely any left over when theyre done. I was just hoping someone could guide me in the right direction for brands or methods they use, everything i seem to find online provides older content and im not sure if its still relevant. any links to pages or videos would be helpful as well! sorry for this post kinda being all over

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly are your concerns? Is it that your fish aren't getting enough to eat? Is it for the new corals you've introduced? Depending on the corals, feeding may/may not be of a concern. Most photosynthetic corals get the majority of their needs through the light. Additional feeding can help them thrive, depending on the coral.
As far as the fish, the general rule of thumb is put in what they can consume within a few minutes.
Now, I personally tend to over feed a bit. I do this so my fish are happy, and the extra particles (that are small enough) are hopefully trapped by some of the corals. My plate and duncan in particular always manage to have some food land on them during the daily fish feeding.
I don't like flake food. I feed LRS reef frenzy. Love it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back