Correct way to re-calibrate probes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, according to the manual the probes should be re calibrated every two to four weeks.

My probes (temp, PH, Redox, salinity) have been in my tank for about 4 months now so I guess I should calibrate them.

Question is, should I rinse in RO before putting in the calibration fluids? Should I give them a mild acid bath (vinegar or citric) to remove detritus buildup and calcification?

Any tips would be appreciated. I want to be sure that I am getting correct readings (otherwise, what’s the point right?) but also do not want to damage any sensor due to improper handling.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way i use to do is to clean them with a smooth toothbrush, rinse them in RO water or tap water, shake off any drops and put them in the calibration solution. Rinse with RO or tap water and shake between the calibration solutions. For the salinity probe – the temperature is very important. I put the bottle with calibration fluid in the sump for half an hour – then I get the same temperature as the aquarium and I use that temperature in the calibration.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way i use to do is to clean them with a smooth toothbrush, rinse them in RO water or tap water, shake off any drops and put them in the calibration solution. Rinse with RO or tap water and shake between the calibration solutions. For the salinity probe – the temperature is very important. I put the bottle with calibration fluid in the sump for half an hour – then I get the same temperature as the aquarium and I use that temperature in the calibration.

Sincerely Lasse

Thanks Lasse,

How often do you perform the calibrations may I ask? And won’t tap water or even RO contaminate the solutions and throw readings off...? The bottles are very small so won’t a drop of tap or RO skew results...?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lasse,

How often do you perform the calibrations may I ask? And won’t tap water or even RO contaminate the solutions and throw readings off...? The bottles are very small so won’t a drop of tap or RO skew results...?

To seldom :) I think 1 to 2 months is enough. Yes it can contaminate - therefore the shake. You can also make it dry with a soft tissue. I normally put up a calibration solution in a smaller and thinner jar - only use a part of the calibration solution. After use - I through it away.

Sincerely Lasse

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 20.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back