Corris Wrasse Popeye?

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this guy here for a few weeks. Didn’t see him at all yesterday, saw him today and now he has an incredibly swollen eye. What treatment options do I have for him, and is this contagious?
IMG_8409.png

IMG_8410.png

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally this shouldn’t be contagious - it typically occurs as a result of injury to the eye that became infected.
Treating with erythromycin or kanamycin in a qt is a good treatment.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve had this guy here for a few weeks. Didn’t see him at all yesterday, saw him today and now he has an incredibly swollen eye. What treatment options do I have for him, and is this contagious?
IMG_8409.png

IMG_8410.png
The core does not look milky and appears to result from an injury. Treatment will be maracyn AKA maracyn 1 which is ethromyacin for 5 days - Not Maracyn oxy in a separate quarantine tank. Assure the sand is not coarse which can cause injury. Fine sand is best for this fish

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The core does not look milky and appears to result from an injury. Treatment will be maracyn AKA maracyn 1 which is ethromyacin for 5 days - Not Maracyn oxy in a separate quarantine tank. Assure the sand is not coarse which can cause injury. Fine sand is best for this fish
Im seeing mixed results and discontinued products when I look online for it. Is there a certain brand/site you'd recommend me buy/buy from?

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally this shouldn’t be contagious - it typically occurs as a result of injury to the eye that became infected.
Treating with erythromycin or kanamycin in a qt is a good treatment.
Is Kanaplex the same thing?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Is Kanaplex the same thing?
No although it would work but take longer

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, likely physical damage. It isn’t too bad. It may well heal on its own, but can take a month to clear all symptoms. If it gets worse, you’d want to medicate of course.
Jay

Badboyan93l

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s eating leave em alone! Focus on something else to forget about it

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cool, thank you. Any chance I can use this in tank? Or do I need to catch him? I dont want to make him any worse by him hurting himself while trying to escape.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Cool, thank you. Any chance I can use this in tank? Or do I need to catch him? I dont want to make him any worse by him hurting himself while trying to escape.
Quarantine

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantine
Maracyn arrives tomorrow, Petco is still doing tank sale so I’m gonna grab a brand new 10g to quarantine in. Should I do the treatment of adding a packet in every day for 5 days? And should I keep him in QT after the 5 days are up, or leave him in until his eye has recovered? Lastly, with the medication, how fast do you think he should be able to recover?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Maracyn arrives tomorrow, Petco is still doing tank sale so I’m gonna grab a brand new 10g to quarantine in. Should I do the treatment of adding a packet in every day for 5 days? And should I keep him in QT after the 5 days are up, or leave him in until his eye has recovered? Lastly, with the medication, how fast do you think he should be able to recover?
When eye is clear- can go back to display tank- acclimate it to display
Follow package for application of Maracyn

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Be sure to rig up some sort of bio filter for the new quarantine tank. You may have filter media or live rock you can use from the display, or you may need to buy bottled bacteria, either way, you need to monitor and control the ammonia in the new tank.

Jay

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to rig up some sort of bio filter for the new quarantine tank. You may have filter media or live rock you can use from the display, or you may need to buy bottled bacteria, either way, you need to monitor and control the ammonia in the new tank.

Jay
Yep, plan on it. I don’t use a filter when doing tank transfer quarantine, but anything past that three day mark I absolutely plan on filtration.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back