cost effective way build a scape in large tanks?

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would not have a tank larger then I could afford live rock for. Live rock is the foundation not only for the filtration but the appearance. Sure in a few years it may be completely covered, but those few years aren't going to go by quick, nor should you want it to.

Buying various used rock would be the only cost effective way I would consider.

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used real reef rock in my 400g. Stacked them up then used superglue/ epoxy to glue the rocks togehter. I have some very large pieces so they sat in one another very well

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would not have a tank larger then I could afford live rock for. Live rock is the foundation not only for the filtration but the appearance. Sure in a few years it may be completely covered, but those few years aren't going to go by quick, nor should you want it to.

Buying various used rock would be the only cost effective way I would consider.

I have the LR covered cycled and ready to go a mix of TBS, real reef and a bit of reef safer all wet and been in tanks for over a year.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used real reef rock in my 400g. Stacked them up then used superglue/ epoxy to glue the rocks togehter. I have some very large pieces so they sat in one another very well

I would love to see pics of this plz

for those of you how drilled:
I worry about break up my rocks. did you use a masonry bit I think I would need to on my real reef rock. pukani in one thing real reef rock another.

any suggestions on drill bit to get?

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see pics of this plz

for those of you how drilled:
I worry about break up my rocks. did you use a masonry bit I think I would need to on my real reef rock. pukani in one thing real reef rock another.

any suggestions on drill bit to get?

0e2d944406dcd5b9807c59ed2ab878d4.jpg

If you need to break rock get a hammer and chisel. Use safety glasses please

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the LR covered cycled and ready to go a mix of TBS, real reef and a bit of reef safer all wet and been in tanks for over a year.

If you're just looking for a way to attach them there are lots of cost effective ways. A E Macro 400 tub is only $42 http://www.marcorocks.com/products/e-marco-400-aquascaping-mortar-complete-kit/ even if you need 2 you're still under $100.

You can find various sources for acrylic rods real cheap and a cheap concrete drill bit, that would cut down on how much mortar you'd have to use. Aquaforest makes a similar product too, not sure of the cost off hand.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the backbone of my 6' reef. It's basically smaller pieces of rock cemented together with mortar. I drilled the rock and used stainless steel and some plastic rods to hold it all together.

It's under here.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're just looking for a way to attach them there are lots of cost effective ways. A E Macro 400 tub is only $42 http://www.marcorocks.com/products/e-marco-400-aquascaping-mortar-complete-kit/ even if you need 2 you're still under $100.

You can find various sources for acrylic rods real cheap and a cheap concrete drill bit, that would cut down on how much mortar you'd have to use. Aquaforest makes a similar product too, not sure of the cost off hand.

yup i am thinking of going that way. rods and e- macro cement seems like the trick.
would love to try the reef welder but I think I would go through a ton of it. but it's a cool concept.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the backbone of my 6' reef. It's basically smaller pieces of rock cemented together with mortar. I drilled the rock and used stainless steel and some plastic rods to hold it all together.

It's under here.

thanks for chiming in @PaulB I will be making some of your PVC rock to add to the scape. once again thanks for the inspiration!

do you find it falling apart afre some time in the DT? some ppl report using motor it does. maybe it was mixed to wet?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup i am thinking of going that way. rods and e- macro cement seems like the trick.
would love to try the reef welder but I think I would go through a ton of it. but it's a cool concept.

Reef Welder works okay but the cement is probably a better option even without factoring costs. It can be difficult to work with a decent amount, you have to deal with the hot water and it's not really that sticky. I recently attached a huge leather with it and it was problematic. The plus side is it's reusable many times over and also a lot easier to get off then a cement product but a cement product is probably still easier to work with.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Welder works okay but the cement is probably a better option even without factoring costs. It can be difficult to work with a decent amount, you have to deal with the hot water and it's not really that sticky. I recently attached a huge leather with it and it was problematic. The plus side is it's reusable many times over and also a lot easier to get off then a cement product but a cement product is probably still easier to work with.

true I just liked the fact if you messed up once could change it. but yes I agree a cement prob. will work a lot better.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you find it falling apart afre some time in the DT?

The PVC rock was in my tank before I moved for about 25 years. Some of the mortar fell off the thinner PVC pipes but if you can put it on thick enough it will be fine. You also can't bend it or the cement will crack off.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%

Back