Cost of Corals?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everyone charges crazy high prices, though online it seems like they do. I regularly sell Walt Disney frags $50-80 depending on the size. I personally try to be part of the solution and sell/trade frags at affordable prices in hopes of bringing the price from others down a bit. I don't know if it'll work, but if other hobbyists do the same it would sure help!

if I would have saw one for $80
Even 100 I would have grabbed it .....

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I would have saw one for $80
Even 100 I would have grabbed it .....
Local clubs.....

Screenshot_20210426-180552_Chrome.jpg

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seller wants you to pay for their Covid losses.

They are “testing” the markets ability to see what sticks.

Since virtually all the high priced stuff at our local retailers has not moved much since Feb, as an example, the $600 5” maxi clam went to $500, to $400 and finally $300 by mid April. The retailer said to me, nice clam eh ( cause he’s Canadian) and I said yes but times were tough these days so too rich for me.
He dropped it to $225....so sold.

Retailers need cash flow, not just maximizing price.

Until the market stabilizes, be very discriminating on what you buy, be vocal when prices are outrageous and don’t fall into the trap.

If we all are willing to pay these outrageous prices, then, sadly, this sets the price.
Wow my lfs has them for literally 150 for a gorgeous 6”

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although high priced corals do exist, there are also a ton of great coral farms selling frags on the cheap. If you can't find nice frags for 15-20 bucks, check out the bottom banners at the homepage where there are flash sales almost every weekend. WWC, UC, ASD, Cali kid have all been in the last month or two.

Id much rather have a wide spectrum of coral available at varying prices to cater to different markets. Not everybody wants a rainbow splits or a Walt Disney. I just walked through Golden State Corals yesterday. Walked out with 4 frags. None of them over$50.

I'm happy to complain about the cost of a new truck, but corals are available on the cheap for those willing to look.

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it varies a lot from store to store. For example one LFS has gold branching hammers for 100/head, and another has them for ~45 per head. I got a 10+ head duncan for 50 dollars, and 10 utter chaos polyps for 60, both from the same LFS. Also bought a 5head purple branching hammer for 60 off a fellow hobbyist.

I usually walk into my LFS and ask them what's been sitting at the store unsold for a long time. Works pretty well for me. You won't find anything super high end, but I always end up with nice big pieces for pretty cheap. For example, my acan lord colony cost 50 and came with 8 heads. A 15+ head watermelon zoa frag cost 40.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I find it varies a lot from store to store. For example one LFS has gold branching hammers for 100/head, and another has them for ~45 per head. I got a 10+ head duncan for 50 dollars, and 10 utter chaos polyps for 60, both from the same LFS. Also bought a 5head purple branching hammer for 60 off a fellow hobbyist.

I usually walk into my LFS and ask them what's been sitting at the store unsold for a long time. Works pretty well for me. You won't find anything super high end, but I always end up with nice big pieces for pretty cheap. For example, my acan lord colony cost 50 and came with 8 heads. A 15+ head watermelon zoa frag

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the lfs the other day expecting to find nothing but I was pleasantly surprised. I ended up getting two trachyphylla and a giant long tentacle plate a mushroom rock and some other things. I guess it comes down to what people are willing to pay but I think 150$ for a 7" trachy is a crazy good price... so I grabbed two lol when the saw me loading up on coral they started nocking down the prices on stuff they had trouble selling. 180 for a xxxl long tentacle plate? Sure ill take that too;) I'm a deal hunter what can I say? 70$ for an elephant ear mushroom with two 4" superman shrooms on it? Deals are out there if your motivated.

Attachments

• 20210426_161757.jpg
    20210426_161757.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210422_140018.jpg
    20210422_140018.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210422_140003.jpg
    20210422_140003.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210421_143105.jpg
    20210421_143105.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 28

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it’s absurd a normal single head blue torch for 150$. And mean you used to be able to buy a 4 head for that much.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me or have prices gotten crazy? Is there something driving this? Anybody know of reasonable priced corals?

I personally find it challenging to spend $200+ on a single coral that is usually a fairly small piece and may or may not survive the shipping and or transfer. Even $100 on a single frag seems quite high. What happened to $10-$20 frags or larger coral pieces for $100 - $200?
Excellent observation and I absolutely agree dr. Has with any other products, the best cost the most, of anything, even on a daily basis.

That said, we have to lower our expectations as our wallets demand.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me or have prices gotten crazy? Is there something driving this? Anybody know of reasonable priced corals?

I personally find it challenging to spend $200+ on a single coral that is usually a fairly small piece and may or may not survive the shipping and or transfer. Even $100 on a single frag seems quite high. What happened to $10-$20 frags or larger coral pieces for $100 - $200?
As with any products we purchase, even on a daily basis, the best for the most. So we are forced to lower our expectations as our wallets demand. That said, there is a plethora of every variety of coral that is beautiful in its own right that we can settle on....

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What irks me the most of making purchases online, of any livestock, is shipping costs. Fish, inverts & corals are so expensive, but then some demand $250+ in purchases for free shipping. I think that is absolutely absurd.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, for sure. I'm definitely not buying it.
But we must consider what is the definition of overpriced? Capitalism is supply and demand. Someone in the marketplace is making those purchases, so as has been earlier the term overpriced doesn't apply to every income level

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But we must consider what is the definition of overpriced? Capitalism is supply and demand. Someone in the marketplace is making those purchases, so as has been earlier the term overpriced doesn't apply to every income level

"Overpriced" is most certainly subjective. However i think some of the vendors have done a tremendous job of conditioning buyers to these higher prices with these 80% off live sales. Mostly full of coral marked up 70% from what someone could find on other sites with a little searching and then sold at a "huge discount" 40% off. Throw in some decent $5 coral and some hard to find amazing pieces to get the hype up. Unfortunately i think especially newer hobbyists are vulnerable to actually thinking these are good deals and happily pay the price. It is capitalism, but i fear it is not good for the hobby

Examples from one of recent live sales(could have made a ridiculously long list but stopped at 5 lol) These sale prices are much higher than anyone needs to be paying as a standard price yet alone a sale:
  1. Meteor shower cyphastrea(nickel size) only $19.99 (save $20)
  2. Small GSP frag $22.74 (save $12.25)
  3. Garf bonsai(nub size) $29.24 (save $15.75)
  4. Small red monti-cap frag $19.99. (save $20)
  5. Mohawks(3 polyps) $29.24 (save $15).
The mohawks cracked me up the most. On the bright side in the 14 hours or so of shipping it probably grew from 3 to 6 polyps before buyer got it.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That was the point of my post before the one you quoted. I agree.

ReefMan692

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of risk and effort goes into holding, growing and propagating corals. Hell there is risk right out of the gate when importing.

If corals were stupid cheap it would also be a bad thing.

On going costs of electricity (you know how much it takes to heat 4000 gallons of wster)? The water itself, salt, medicine, equipment maitenance and replacement, losses during shipping (to vendor and to customer) labor (got to pay americans a living wage, right?) , credit card fees, taxes,

Inflation is a thing

Last edited:

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices def got out of hand. But so did the quality of collection and mariculture.

A 3-4 color coral was actually rare back in the day..... Today its almost an expectation.

Most of those that have an issue with it are part of the problem more than they are a pious non-participant.

What's really changed is that the avg hobbyist no longer wants any of the common, affordable corals or the inconvenience of looking for a good deal on them.

Try to sell a baseball of eagle eye zoas, red/purple/green cap or standard frogspawn and see how long it takes.

And I'm sure if I posted wtb for these strains I could fill in a stunning reef for $500-$600 shipped....

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The center of the hobby has shifted towards premium/collector gear/livestock offerings, but it also grew the hobby and made it soooo much better for all.

If that hadn't happened, it's unlikely I'd be able to get I/O purple box delivered to my door on 18hrs notice any day of the ye for yrs on end.

JuiceByCliff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have some Great local fish stores In Florida. I would def check out Facebook marketplace or craigslist under “aquarium Decor”. As long as you go with a friend and don’t get Murdered, more reasonable prices and someone you can trade with in the future.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Covid restrictions have nerfed swaps and a lot of personal trading. Its also been brutal on smaller reef stores. This reduces the pipeline of amatuer coral growers to get their product in the market.

This leaves the high profile online shops that over saturate images. I won't bother with naming offenders.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back