could an anemone still get shredded by this power head if it were to detach

weldrick208658

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Just wondering because I just got an anemone.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it decides to go there and stick its foot in... then maybe. Give it a happy place with good flow and it might not move to the powerhead

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 percent yes.
The one pictured below took a walk on the wild side. It survived, it was probably trying to split and maybe wanted help? I had a smaller one get destroyed not long before this. I still have 8 of them in my tank and honestly this is the first time this has happened in. 4 years.

They make 3D printed need gaurds
I recently added that to my cross flow cause no more chewed up nems please

IMG_5260.jpeg IMG_5273.jpeg IMG_5284.jpeg IMG_5289.jpeg

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is that? A Boxtek? Either way yes. I doubt it will be its foot but more likely all its tentacles. Never seen a 100% anemone-proof traditional powerhead.

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it? Yes.

Is it likely? Not really...

There is always the off chance it gets up there and gets its tentacles or foot inside somehow. Nems gonna do what nems gonna do. Like Lapin said, find it a good home, and hope for the best.

This thread is worth checking out: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-attach-mount-an-anemone.643645/#post-6442150
Likely hood depends if the nem finds a spot it likes quickly and settles down. That it doesn’t decided to walk on the glass or on rock structures near the power head. Plenty of people have nems eaten up this way. Best to be over prepared (add nem guards now) than have a nem slurry

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one in the other picture was probably 5-7 inches across when opened

This one below is the one that did not make it. It was a split that climbed the glass on its walk down a week later it found a very hunger crossflow
IMG_5124.jpeg
IMG_5123.jpeg

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely hood depends if the nem finds a spot it likes quickly and settles down. That it doesn’t decided to walk on the glass or on rock structures near the power head. Plenty of people have nems eaten up this way. Best to be over prepared (add nem guards now) than have a nem slurry
I mean yes, if you run them bare, the likelihood goes up, he's got the foam protector covering the powerhead intake, and the propellers on that pump look pretty recessed. If a nem doesn't settle immediately, and starts to float around, and decides it wants to attach itself to the powerhead, then sure, it could 'walk' on the exposed side pushing off the foam protection and get its tentacles or foot in the backside and get sucked in. But, the odds of those events taking place are relatively slim. Anything can happen... But the fact he has the intakes covered in foam make it much less likely that it *will* happen.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But, the odds of those events taking place are relatively slim. Anything can happen... But the fact he has the intakes covered in foam make it much less likely that it *will* happen.

You would think right :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Seen it happen so many times it’s stupid. Usually as stated right after a split. My bet is if it happens it won’t be foam falling off or foot. It will be tentacles one by one getting sucked under the foam.

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Seen it happen so many times it’s stupid. Usually as stated right after a split. My bet is if it happens it won’t be foam falling off or foot. It will be tentacles one by one getting sucked under the foam.
And it will happen while you’re asleep because why the heck not! Not even while your at work, but asleep peacefully in your bed.

Seriously 4 years- I have had this nem. Not once did they walk around the tank - not the original not any of the dozen splits….then I wake up to a nem that’s basically tried to become fish food!
Fast forward several weeks and BAM! Again. Seriously. I built an eyesore out of egg crate till my nem guards came it.

And as you can see in one of the pictures below another one was attempting to make best friends with the crossflow
IMG_5513.jpeg
IMG_5294.jpeg
IMG_5512.jpeg

Though I blame all recent movement from having to replace the light on that side

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your experiences are polar opposite mine. More than 20 years, hundreds of anemone's hundreds of split events (Hell I've had 12 splits in the last year) in all different sized tanks, more powerheads than I can count, purchased anemone guards = 0. Injured or Dead Anemone's due to powerheads = 0. I mean, I've seen the stories on the internet, and I've seen the photo and video evidence, so I know it happens. It just seems like a very very small minority of total anemone owners out there that have this problem. Which is why I said it's unlikely... Statistically, even if it does happen to him, out of 10,000 anemone owners, it might happen to a handful, maybe even a dozen, probably not much more than that though...

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't tell someone not to get a nem guard, they serve a purpose, but in reality, they're only made for like 10 pumps on the market, everything else is a custom hassle nightmare of sending your pump to the person making them so they can whip something up in AutoCAD using your pumps specific dimensions... Those pumps look pretty generic, so I am betting the foam is the best OP's gonna get without sending his pump out to someone who makes them custom.

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your experiences are polar opposite mine. More than 20 years, hundreds of anemone's hundreds of split events (Hell I've had 12 splits in the last year) in all different sized tanks, more powerheads than I can count, purchased anemone guards = 0. Injured or Dead Anemone's due to powerheads = 0. I mean, I've seen the stories on the internet, and I've seen the photo and video evidence, so I know it happens. It just seems like a very very small minority of total anemone owners out there that have this problem. Which is why I said it's unlikely... Statistically, even if it does happen to him, out of 10,000 anemone owners, it might happen to a handful, maybe even a dozen, probably not much more than that though...

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't tell someone not to get a nem guard, they serve a purpose, but in reality, they're only made for like 10 pumps on the market, everything else is a custom hassle nightmare of sending your pump to the person making them so they can whip something up in AutoCAD using your pumps specific dimensions... Those pumps look pretty generic, so I am betting the foam is the best OP's gonna get without sending his pump out to someone who makes them custom.
Believe it or not….i think their are more men guards being 3D printed then you realize!

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not….i think their are more men guards being 3D printed then you realize!
really? Cause a buddy of mine asked me to help him find some for his Sicce SDC's he bought off of me, we found one guy on Etsy who made them, no one else, not sold at any stores, couldn't even find an STL file for them. This was about 12-18 months ago. We ordered them, and they press fit onto the pumps, but wouldn't stay on, they were just a simple oval shape, no attachment points, nothing. And Sicce is a top brand... LOL...

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just searched again, it looks like he has re-done the design so they use the clasps from the original strainer, but he still seems to be the only guy making them...

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like other Sicce powerheads have guards available

Eh maybe I’m wrong but there is definitely more now then there was a year ago

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like other Sicce powerheads have guards available

Eh maybe I’m wrong but there is definitely more now then there was a year ago
Yeh, the voyagers have them, I saw a few people making it for those, but they're not the same form factor. The SDC's and the regular XStreams carry the same form factor, but the regular X-Streams are all different sizes, and the SDC's only share the size of one of the 3... So it's kind of hard to find (this is actually the route we had to go initially because no one was making them specifically for the SDC (WiFi Controllable) version.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 43 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back