Could banded shrimp pair kill a lyretail hawkfish?

Nofltr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meet Jack, the original terror of my 40 gallon. KIA sometime today before dinner. Let me say there is no other bully in the tank except him and all other fish are alive with no spots, dark flesh areas, missing sections of fins or anything. Prior to his death, the only bothersome things in the 40 g is a pair of banded shrimp who fight him for space and food sometimes. Could they be the culprits? He has been thru copper about a month ago and had no issues eating or behavior.

IMG_1690.jpeg IMG_1689.jpeg IMG_1688.jpeg IMG_1687.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t think the shrimp were the culprits here - were they found near the hawk fish when it was dead?

The hawk was probably longer than the shrimp, right?

Since these are cleaner shrimp, it really isn’t normal for them to kill fish, just clean them.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nofltr

Nofltr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t think the shrimp were the culprits here - were they found near the hawk fish when it was dead?

The hawk was probably longer than the shrimp, right?

Since these are cleaner shrimp, it really isn’t normal for them to kill fish, just clean them.

Jay
Hi Jay,

One of the banded shrimp was close by and the other seemed to be making its way over (female). It’s the marks that appear like bruising and the cut or gash on the other side that scares me, I have 3 fish in QT about a week away from being placed in the same tank. I do not wish to have the tank run fallow again if I have to pull all livestock out ( previously had Brook, and Ich in tank). This morning all other fish are eagerly awaiting food and up swimming normally with no heavy breathing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nofltr

Nofltr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. They grab slow or poor swimmers by the tail and pinch them so they cant swim. Watched one do it to a valentini puffer at a petco. Hawkfish are poor swimmers
I have witnessed them going after the clowns and chromis in the past. They picked off 3 chromis but yet to get clowns (probably the taste/slime coat keeps them alive).

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They always snap at fish passing by, but I've never seen one catch a healthy fish, a fish should easily be able to get away.

You know your tank better than us, but we can't jump to conclusion of a shrimp killing a fish without knowing all the details about the tank and fish.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

One of the banded shrimp was close by and the other seemed to be making its way over (female). It’s the marks that appear like bruising and the cut or gash on the other side that scares me, I have 3 fish in QT about a week away from being placed in the same tank. I do not wish to have the tank run fallow again if I have to pull all livestock out ( previously had Brook, and Ich in tank). This morning all other fish are eagerly awaiting food and up swimming normally with no heavy breathing.

What other fish were in with the hawkfish and what fish do you have in QT waiting to come over?

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nofltr

Nofltr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish were in with the hawkfish and what fish do you have in QT waiting to come over?

Jay
Currently in tank: 3 blue chromis, filefish, Purple tang (small) and 6 line wrasse. Have waiting to enter: bristletooth and scopas tangs. I might keep them in QT until the 210 g cycles and if the 40 is becoming an issue. I might need to do an ICP test on water to really see issues within.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently in tank: 3 blue chromis, filefish, Purple tang (small) and 6 line wrasse. Have waiting to enter: bristletooth and scopas tangs. I might keep them in QT until the 210 g cycles and if the 40 is becoming an issue. I might need to do an ICP test on water to really see issues within.

O.K., nothing really rough in that mix, although sixlines can be sort of nippy.

It is really unlikely that an ICP test will show any reason why one fish out of a tank would have died. If there are corals in the tank, and they are fine, then the ICP is even less likely to show anything wrong.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nofltr

Nofltr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K., nothing really rough in that mix, although sixlines can be sort of nippy.

It is really unlikely that an ICP test will show any reason why one fish out of a tank would have died. If there are corals in the tank, and they are fine, then the ICP is even less likely to show anything wrong.

Jay
Thank you Jay for the response and questions. Jack was the bully in the tank as even the six line would follow the lyretail around its various perch points. And yes the tank is loaded with corals mainly LPS but a few SPS and all are happy atm. Buried him today next to previous mates, sad and he will be missed.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back