Could Big mama saddleback clownfish be egg-bound??

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all
I googled "big mama saddleback clownfish lethargic after spawn" and zero results came up.
So yesterday at dusk, my pair of three yr old clowns that have spawed at least a dozen times in the last year and a half... were up to it again, un-beknownst to me, when they were startled by a newcomer (yellow tang) that I had just released in to tank. After a few minutes, with no real aggression to tang, they went back to their business and this morning I noticed the spawn wasn't as large as it usually is.

Well, all day today and into tonight..mama seems really out of it. She's just sorta floating in one of her anemones with kind of a blank look. Almost catatonic. Un-interested in her surroundings. I've not seen her like this before after a spawn and I noticed her egg laying thing still a little protrusive on her underbelly.
Could she be egg-bound? I'm very worried although there is probably nothing that I can do to help her now... if she is egg-bound.. will her body be able to clear it? Any help or advice appreciated.

OP
OP
Clarksski

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @nemo1017..thanks for reply.. do you have any idea how long it might take? this morning she is about the same...floating in her neme.. just kinda checked out of the regular tank activities....

nemo1017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is she eating and breathing normally? Where are the eggs located? Mine won't leave the eggs until they've hatched, then she's out and about for a few days until the next time.

OP
OP
Clarksski

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, she's not eating or breathing normal.
She usually cares about the eggs but not this time. She was so out of it that I gently used my hands to catch her and to put her in a fresh water dip.
She's in hospital tank now... I hope she makes it through the night. I just don't understand how she's laying eggs one nite.. and then the next, she's practically knocking on deaths door.

nemo1017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was the right move. I Hope she pulls through, sorry to hear that. Was the tang QT'd? It could be possible that the tang had something and the clown caught it.

OP
OP
Clarksski

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, she made it through the night and this morning looks surprisingly good. To make matters worse though, last night she jumped out of hospital tank ( tank had an acrylic lid on the top... now it has an acrylic lid with 5 pound copper pot weight on top)..she is a really big clown and ended up on the kitchen counter.. looked very bad when she got back into the water.
I'm noticing today that her tail is a little ratty though... I'm going to post in fish disease and hopefully humblefish or mely can chime in.

OP
OP
Clarksski

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @nemo1017
Well... she's doing ok today. I transferred her out of the 3 gal makeshift hospital tank and into a 10 gal breeder because the 3 gal tested positive for ammonia this morning. She had a second treatment of general cure tonight. She was not interested in eating so I made sure to suck out uneaten mysis with turkey baster.
I know she hasn't eaten since about Saturday night. She is a big girl so hopefully she'll get her appetite back before too long. She physically looks so much better... but not normal yet. Meanwhile, her mate is attending to the eggs that were laid on Sunday night. Makes me sad a little.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back