Could I Build A Refugium

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I build a refugium starting with a 48" glass tank.. If so are there any plans out there to help me out ??
well what i had to do is figure out what i had to have in there , prtien skimmer pumps refu. filers and then i started measuring these things and that kinda gave me a sight of what i needed in size don't forget the sock too

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I build a refugium starting with a 48" glass tank.. If so are there any plans out there to help me out ??
If that is a 55 gallon aquarium then @TaylorPilot makes a DIY kit for making your own sump.

danknuc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have built two different sumps, one out of a 20G long and one out of a 30G. Since each one has different pumps and different skimmers I chose to use different designs for each. I looked at the acrylic sumps on the market and chose the options I thought would work best. The first one I did not originally put a filter sock in but added a sock hanger after.
I do recommend you use 1/4" glass for your sump dividers. The first sump I only used 3/32" glass from the local hardware store and it is way too fragile.

Good Luck

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't be hard. A basic sump really just consist of a few squares of glass or acrylic siliconed in the tank. Ideally use glass if all thing are equal. We use acrylic in ours because it is allot easier to machine, and gives us more options, but silicone doesn't adhere to acrylic as well, so in our larger kits we use a vertical strip of acrylic to reinforce it. Once you start adding sock holders, or adjustable baffles, it goes from an easy DIY to something more involved. A 55 is a great size if you want to have all the different chambers including a refugium since they are 48" long and can be bought for $/gallon at petco when on sale. Keep a look out. They have the sale about 4 times a year.

OP
OP
D

DJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply 'taylorpilot'.. I was just looking at your kits.. I think this is the route I would like to go.. It looks pretty straightforward.. I like the idea of all the machined parts.. Is it the DIY 55 sump kit that has the refugium ?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply 'taylorpilot'.. I was just looking at your kits.. I think this is the route I would like to go.. It looks pretty straightforward.. I like the idea of all the machined parts.. Is it the DIY 55 sump kit that has the refugium ?
He built me a custom one without the sock filters for my 55 gallon sump. That allowed me to have a very large refugium compared to most sumps. Couldn't be happier.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, the 55 has a refugium. It is actually our only kit at the moment that does. The 36" long kits are just too small to have all 4 sections. Let me know if you have any questions. You can see allot of information in our sponsor section.

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the 55 has a refugium. It is actually our only kit at the moment that does. The 36" long kits are just too small to have all 4 sections. Let me know if you have any questions. You can see allot of information in our sponsor section.
Holy cow I missed the sponsor section now I got to go back and start reading again. But this is very interesting because I'm getting ready to turn a 75 gallon into a sump Ref

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back