Could I get an ID on this critter?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mikebusc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mikebusc

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 10, 2023
Messages
304
Reaction score
175
Location
Douglassville, PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time I saw this in my tank. I’m sure someone knows what this is. Friend or foe?
IMG_1451.jpeg
 
Looks to be a bristle worm....they are good cleaners....some don't like them because they can be unsightly. There bristles can get in your skin and cause some irritation as well. They are beneficial to have in your tank though, but they can really infest it if there is a lot of detritus and no predator to get them. Several fish and inverts hunt them, especially, small ones. I have not had a tank that didn't have them to some extent. It's hard to not get them if you use real live rock.
 
Looks to be a bristle worm....they are good cleaners....some don't like them because they can be unsightly. There bristles can get in your skin and cause some irritation as well. They are beneficial to have in your tank though, but they can really infest it if there is a lot of detritus and no predator to get them. Several fish and inverts hunt them, especially, small ones. I have not had a tank that didn't have them to some extent. It's hard to not get them if you use real live rock.
Good to know. Thanks!
 
I have a couple of pretty good sized ones. They are part of the CUC in my tank and as long as I don’t get an infestation, I don’t mind them. I have a six line wrasse to keep from getting an infestation. He handles the babies before they become big!!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new