Could I prolong the Nyos Quantum pump intake?

Atu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
the last section of my sump fills with lots of floating scum. I carbon dose heavy so a lot of bacteria clumps ends up there.
I wanted to skim the surface of this last section without adding any pump, I was thinking of building a pipe overflow and connecting it via a hose to one of the pump intakes of the skimmer, directing all the scum to the skimmer directly.

Could this be done? or I would end up with a broken skimmer pump?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
the last section of my sump fills with lots of floating scum. I carbon dose heavy so a lot of bacteria clumps ends up there.
I wanted to skim the surface of this last section without adding any pump, I was thinking of building a pipe overflow and connecting it via a hose to one of the pump intakes of the skimmer, directing all the scum to the skimmer directly.

Could this be done? or I would end up with a broken skimmer pump?
I don't think that it would break your pump. The issue that I possibly see arising is that you will likely lose control over the amount of air being drawn into the skimmer pump and consequently foam production control. To plumb this effectively to skim the surface of the water to draw the floating "scum" would likely draw a corresponding amount of air. That in and of itself I don't think would be a problem for the pump nor flow issues provided the run is short enough, but you likey might draw air at an uncontrollable or inconsistent amount. This inconsistency or lack of control of the air would affect your ability to control and maintain consistent foam production. FWIW.

OP
OP
Atu

Atu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.
I wanted to build it in such a way that water in the pipe where the hose is connected would be at a lower level than the sump, but no air is sucked in.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back