Could someone please help me identify this algae, the cause, and the solution?

sdubler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is — if anyone has any questions — let me know.
Thanks,
sdubler

32E05896-86C0-4920-8057-D4230C6CA12F.jpeg AB862EE6-8E8C-480A-AD73-B553FBFF03A7.jpeg CCE560B6-7ADD-474B-BDCF-E1BFFECB1C5F.jpeg 63820FC4-EAD9-4AA0-8D52-16D17F52FD7F.jpeg A4209DB1-BC2C-4678-814F-3231B1C09A63.jpeg

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green hair algee the cause can be a number of things need to know more parameters alkalinity calcium Magnesium phosphate ammonia nitrates as far as ways to combat it you can cut back on lighting you cut back on feeding you can add gfo to a reactor and you can manually take it out by scraping or brushing It Off The Rock and siphoning at the same time

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the start of green hair algae though there are several different ways to try and combat it

OP
OP
sdubler

sdubler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green hair algee the cause can be a number of things need to know more parameters alkalinity calcium Magnesium phosphate ammonia nitrates as far as ways to combat it you can cut back on lighting you cut back on feeding you can add gfo to a reactor and you can manually take it out by scraping or brushing It Off The Rock and siphoning at the same time
I have a water box cube 20 — I was thinking of doing a refugium in my second chamber with chaetomorpha — I think I’ll add a gfo reactor as well — I saw coralfish12g’s video. Thank you for the great info!

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a water box cube 20 — I was thinking of doing a refugium in my second chamber with chaetomorpha — I think I’ll add a gfo reactor as well — I saw coralfish12g’s video. Thank you for the great info!
No problem I think a refugium is the right path to choose as it's all natural does a phenomenal job the only time I would actually add gfo to refugium is if you have a fowlr Predator Tank which is a tank that I do have a side from my reef tank these tanks and these kinds of fish produce way more waste than your typical reef tank fish and sometimes it can take both to keep everything in balance

OP
OP
sdubler

sdubler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem I think a refugium is the right path to choose as it's all natural does a phenomenal job the only time I would actually add gfo to refugium is if you have a fowlr Predator Tank which is a tank that I do have a side from my reef tank these tanks and these kinds of fish produce way more waste than your typical reef tank fish and sometimes it can take both to keep everything in balance
Ok, so should I just stick with the refugium — and just in case add a bag or more of gfo rather than a reactor?

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so should I just stick with refugium — and maybe add some bags of gfo, just in case, than a reactor?
I would start with the refugium you have a tank that is not super large the refugium should do everything you needed to do without the gfo if and only if the refugium doesn't keep everything in check and is set up right only then would I add gfo to that

OP
OP
sdubler

sdubler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with the refugium you have a tank that is not super large the refugium should do everything you needed to do without the gfo if and only if the refugium doesn't keep everything in check and is set up right only then would I add gfo to that
Ok! thank you so much for the great information — how long do you think it will take for the refugium to combat the algae and phosphates — just an estimate? days, weeks?

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both refugium and gfo do an amazing job at keeping phosphates in check you do not want to have absolute zero phosphates in your tank you want to have about 0.02 to 0.03 parts per million of phosphates anything less than this and you can consider it starving the coral of the nutrients it needs this is why would not try both of them in the tank the size of yours unless one or the other is not working

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say nothing good in this hobby happens fast and I would stick to that I would say that you're looking at weeks before it completely eliminates and takes up all the nutrients in beats out the algae

OP
OP
sdubler

sdubler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, I am adding coral to the aquarium on Saturday — I already have a hobby and a shrimp — I’ll be fine right? I am setting up the fuge monday — also side note — wouldn’t the corals also reduce the phosphates as well? Sorry for all the questions; I am twelve :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These are simply diatoms associated with new tanks and silicates in the bedding.
You can. Blow loose with a turkey Baxter or a light siphoning.
Reducing white light intensity a little will help

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
refugium, great idea any time but this will resolve itself, corals will probably be fine too, i wouldn't suggest adding expensive ones or SPS but a few softies or LPS should be fine if other parameters are stable. Nothing to stress about :D

OP
OP
sdubler

sdubler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
refugium, great idea any time but this will resolve itself, corals will probably be fine too, i wouldn't suggest adding expensive ones or SPS but a few softies or LPS should be fine if other parameters are stable. Nothing to stress about :D
Phew! Thank you so much! Any recommendations on how to cope with it though and keep it under control? I know reduce white light and feeding; but do you think my upcoming refugium will help? (putting in monday)

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phew! Thank you so much! Any recommendations on how to cope with it though and keep it under control? I know reduce white light and feeding; but do you think my upcoming refugium will help? (putting in monday)

No problem. No need to do anything. They will burn through whatever nutrients they need and never come back. Just part of the tank maturity progress. They don't last long if parameters are in check

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes in reef tank, the best thing is to keep your hands out of it and let its biosphere go through it's thing :D
Refugium with macro algae is a good addition though and would allow you to properly feed things without unwanted parameter spokes in the future.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back