Could someone please help me identify this algae, the cause, and the solution?

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add, once you get a lot of stony corals, you may start dosing 2 part solution. I wouldn't dose anything to your tank except fish food for at least the first year

OP
OP
sdubler

sdubler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got to slow down. Sometimes less is more. Just add the critters and fuge, do water changes at 10% a week. Measure ammonia , nitrites, nitrates after adding critters. Monitor Ca and Alk. Monitor ph. Don't start dosing stuff, you will end up with a mess.
Fish poop will add necessary stuff and then some from them eating food.
Ok, yeah I was a bit confused about dosing. lol. The reason I am doing a fuge is to prevent algae taking over my tank in the near future. I also understand that currently this is a stage right now though. Also, I will use it as a space to culture copepods, for my court jester goby I have had for a week now.
You got to slow down. Sometimes less is more. Just add the critters and fuge, do water changes at 10% a week. Measure ammonia , nitrites, nitrates after adding critters. Monitor Ca and Alk. Monitor ph. Don't start dosing stuff, you will end up with a mess.
Fish poop will add necessary stuff and then some from them eating food.
Ok. That sounds like a plan! Thank you so much. I guess I am good. I will add the livestock tomorrow — then add a fuge and probably do my weekly water change in the midst of that, I’ll also reduce white lighting and will be sure to not over feed. I also have mangroves on the way, arriving monday. Does it sound like a good plan?

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds good!
you should setup a build thread on this site. you can journal everything you are doing AND can go back and see when you made a major change.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back